Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Dt466..rebuilding..I need the head bolt torque/pattern

Customer Question
I have a 2001 navistar...
I have a 2001 navistar engine with a 7.6 dt466 international engine.
im rebuilding the engine. I need the head bolt torque/pattern. piston rod torque and
main crank caps torque.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
7/10/2010
Technician: Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert replied 12 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert

HI. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Here are the specs you need. I am having trouble acquiring the torque sequence. The system is malfunctioning. Sorry. I will keep trying.

Cylinder Head

Torque each cylinder head bolt to 150 N·m (110 lbf·ft)

Torque each cylinder head bolt to 204 N·m (150 lbf·ft)

Torque each cylinder head bolt again to 204 N·m (150 lbf·ft)

Using a permanent marker, make a mark on each bolt head. Make another mark 90° counter-clockwise on the bolt, and another mark on the socket corresponding to the bolt mark. Align mark on each socket and bolt head with other mark 90° clockwise on the bolt head.

Rotate each bolt 90 degrees (1/4 turn).

Main Bearings

Tighten each main bearing bolt to 136 N·m (100 lbf·ft)

Tighten each main bearing bolt to 177 N·m (130 lbf·ft)

Use a permanent marker to add a mark on each bolt head and another mark 90° clockwise on the main cap. Also mark the socket to match the bolt marking.

Rotate each crankshaft main bearing bolt 90 degrees (¼ turn).

Rod Caps

Connecting rod bolts 163 N·m (120 lbf·ft)

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert