Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Mercedes: tryed..filters where changed will rev ok when parked…

Customer Question
hi mercedes 818 has no...
hi mercedes 818 has no power tryed changing filters was the same before and after filters where changed will rev ok when parked but when driving wont and is hesatating badly do you have any ideas thanks jonny
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Technician: Bob, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bob
Bob, Mechanic

Hi there hope i can be of assistance.

Is this petrol or diesel?

Is there any smoke from the exhaust when the hesitating is occuring?

Are there any warning lights on the dash?

Have any diagnostic checks been done, if so what were the fault codes?

Thanks Bob

diesel there are no lights on and dignostic shows nothing and no more smoke than useal

Ok first have a detailed inspection of the engine bay, in patricular check the air intake trunking for any splits/cracks and that all the small vacuum pipes.

If nothing can be found try disconnecting the MAF sensor (located on air intake), and road test again.

If the fault persists then we have the wrong air/fuel mixture when accelerating.

Im not sure what scanner you used but not all diesel vehicles before 2004 are EOBD compliant so your scanner may of missed some vital delaer only or pending fault codes.

If no codes are available, then youll need to have the fuel pressure checked by means of real time display (view on scanner while fault is occuring), to ensure all the injectors, fuel pump and fuel lines are working as they should.

If this is acceptable, then we are looking at an airlflow problem. So have the EGR valve operation checked for sticking.

Thanks bob

there is no egr valve on it mate

There has to be some form of exhaust gas recirculation for it to comply with emmisions standards on a 2003 diesel.

Bob

it is a 13 tonne lorry and it is 03 reg but might be 02 lorry not sure off that the merc boy that put it on the computar said there was no faults he said just try putting new parts on and try that .Thats mad you know thanks jonny

Ok im unsure where to take this next so ill opt out and another expert will be along shortly.

Thanks Bob

thanks any way mate i know iam at a dead end too thanks jonny
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Unit sounds to be starving for fuel, take a test line and go from the fuel transfer pump back into the tank, eliminating the primary filter and all the lines back to the tank and give it a test. When you have a diesel that will run fine without a load and then won't with a load, think fuel starvation. More times than not it will be something in the fuel suction system. Let me know. Thanks.
hi mate had to send to mercedes as going away on wednesday to spain it was a sensor on engine they say it was somthing to do with the fly by wire throttle have to lift it on monday over five hundred pounds lighter lol suppose thats the joys of new lorrys thanks jonny
Good job!!