Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a 580c case G207D loader backhoe..tank..loose power…

i have a 580c case...
i have a 580c case G207D loader backhoe. it seems that when i got low on fuel and added some i may have stirred up tank deposists. because it started to loose power shortly after that. now it won't start. i have changed the primary and the secondary fuel filter. also, i changed the air filter and the oil and oil filter. i checked the fuel flow after the filter and also pulled the first and then the last fuel injector it seems i'm geeting some fuel flow, not sure what good flow should look like. also it seems that now my battery is very weak and doesn't turn over real good without a jump. my question is what should i check now and how can i start it.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
hello please charge the batts or jump unit, crack ALL lines at the fuel injectors, crank over engine, Good flow is a steady stream of fuel, Once observed re tighten lines one at a time re crank again and the engine should fire up. Hope this helps
DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN

ok i did what you suggested but it seems that i am not getting good flow. i took the front injector off and cranked the engine but there isn't a stream just a trickle. i also removed the secondary side again and have flow. also removed the feeder tube to the no.1 injector and it is clear. what do you suggest i do now

Drop the filters and check to see if there full. It is possible the filter is air locked and not allowing fuel to flow refill if needed
both filters are full yet when i crank it over it just barely streams out of injector no. 1 input line. does this particular mod. have a fuel pump. if not how would i check the injct. pump. could this be the problem
No lift pump, Have you checked the fuel shut off cable in the cab / on the pump. There is no way to just check the injection pump on the engine
It's mechanical either it works or it doesn't I have see pumps just go bad with no cause Unless it was just time for the pump to go. thats why you thought you sucked up sediment (would be caught in filter) and had low power.

shut off cable does seem to be working. would the inj. pump still produce a very weak out put if bad. and if i take the top off of it could it be cloged with sediment.

should i replace injct. pump?

ok shut off cable is working, BUT IS IT WORKING AT THE PUMP?yes a bad pump would produce little to no volume, You should not have any sediment in the pump thats what the filter is for, Unless poorly maintained, Rust i can see in the pump but not stuff from the tank. Ok lets try this run a line from the inlet of the pump to a 5 gal bucket of clean diesel. see it it starts. clear tube works great you can see the fuel being drawn up to the pump. no start no good. We are eliminating everything but the engine with this test. If it starts than there is a restriction from the fuel tank to the inlet of the fuel pump somewhere. Thats all i can tell you at least you will know if it is the engine or fuel supply system. Bleed the engine the way i explained before if needed while testing