Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Mustang: skid..diesel engine..the exhaust line while cranking…

Customer Question
I have a mustang 442...
I have a mustang 442 skid loader with a kubota v1902 diesel engine, is it normal to feel suction from the exhaust line while cranking?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/27/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
No, that would indicate that one of the exhaust valves is open when the piston is on the intake stroke.
Thats what I figured, or the head gasket is leaking. Both are new. Shouldn't the rocker arms be adjusted to make contact with the push rod, but still loose enough to roll?
The rockers need to be adjusted so each valve has clearance, about .012in. The way I do it is to go to the first cylinder and turn the engine till one of the valves is pushed down by the rocker arm. I then set the valve that is not down. Set the clearance at .012in.., then turn the engine till the valve you just set is pushed down by the rocker arm and set the opposite valve, which should now be all the way up. I then move to the next cylinder and repeat, till all cylinders are done. The adjustment you are mentioning is a unit with hydraulic lifters, I don't think you have hydraulic lifters. You have solid lifters. Let me know. Thanks.

You are correct, they are solid. I didn't know about the clearance, that could be my problem. The lifters were stuck when I replaced the head, but I did check that they were still moving freely before I talked to you. If adjusting the valves do not fix this, what can I try next?

The valves will fix it. I will be here tomorrow if we need to go further.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Thank you for your time, tomorrow sounds good to me. I like your idea on how to find the "up" position on the valves too. Thanks again.
I will be waiting. thanks.