Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

hyster..there is a cap near the pedals what goes in it..hydraulic…

Customer Question
I have a Hyster forklift...
I have a Hyster forklift (probably from 70's), there is a cap near the pedals what goes in it? I also have no hydraulic function could it be dry?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/27/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Remove the cap and stick a piece of wire or other (dipstick in the hole. It should be the hydraulic tank, but with not much to go on, it could be the breather for the transmission. If the wire comes out with clear , light oil, it will be the hydraulic tank. Do not overfill, add a gallon and try it the hydraulics, raise the mast up if it will raise. When the mast will raise to the top, you have enough hydraulic oil in the tank. Has the unit been sitting for a while? For it to be completely out of fluid, it would have a big leak! Let me know. Thanks.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
As I sit in the seat it is a cap next to the emergency brake is the the hydraulic fill? It does not have a dip stick so how do I know this is the place for the fluid? It did sit for a long time and we just got it running but no hyraulic movement. I'm just afraid to put fluid down a place I don't know where it is going.
Is this cap on the dash area. If so it is the brake reservoir and takes brake fluid. Just a small plastic container about three inches long and might hold a cup of fluid. The hydraulic fluid on most forklifts is contained in the frame of the unit. One side would be a gas tank and the other side of the unit would be the hydraulic tank. Without model numbers it is hard to talk specifics. Sorry.