Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Telsta aerial lift. While testing the lift after installation…

Customer Question
Telsta aerial lift. While...
Telsta aerial lift. While testing the lift after installation of new engine, the motor shut off. Everything had been working fine for several minutes. I restarted the engine but when I turned on the power to the lift, the engine cut off again. It acted as if the emergency break shut off were activated. I reset the brake but the problem continues. Searched for tripped circuit breaker but found none. Power to strobe also off. Truck is a 1990 Ford super duty with 28 foot lift.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/27/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
-Could you explain your situation a little more? You replaced the motor in the truck?
Curtis: had the motor replaced. then was testing the lift. it was running fine. all the controls worked well. while using the lift controls, the engine shut down. I restarted but when I engaged the electrical switch on the dash which sends power to the lift, the engine shut down again. It acted as if the emergency brake switch was not engaged. (the e-brake must be on, otherwise the motor shuts off when the dashboard switch is engaged.

tried several more times but engine shut down each time the dashboard switch was thrown. Then for some reason, the symptoms changed. Now when the switch is thrown, nothing happens. The truck continues running. Further, the truck continues running when the power to the lift is engage AND the ebrake is released.

I located a relay in an electrical box near the battery and replaced it. it is linked to the ebrake shutoff and the shutoff on the lift control panel. new relay made no difference. out of ideas.
Look at the engine installation, look for a loose ground strap. What it sounds like is a lack of ground to the frame. Take a jumper cable and run a ground from the engine to the frame to check.
OK will try. back shortly.
ok.
Curtis: no effect with the jumper cable. some addl info. the e-brake cutoff is having no effect either meaning that the truck does not shut off like it should when the power switch is on and the ebrake is off. the dashboard switch that controls the power to the lift seems to be working but it must control some sort of device (solenoid?). since no power is reaching the lift, might that device be the problem?
Anything is possible, but I would be taking a look at the engine compartment and the connections that were removed when the engine was changed. It has to have a set of solenoids that power the lift, and the problem wasn't there before hand. I wish I could be more help!
I will try and locate the solenoid and rap it a couple times. I will let you know.
I will be watching.
Curtis: unable to locate the device that the dashboard switch controls. tried jumping the switch; opened various panels and tighted various wires and grounds. I'm at a loss now. jumped a solenoid that I couldn't identify but I think it controlled the fuel pump because the truck wouldn't turn off with the solenoid jumped. I'm about to give up.
Where is the power for the lift tapped off the trucks battery system? Do they run a long cable to the back for the lift? I would think that it would have a positive cable and a negative cable coming to the rear. The lifts are an add on and they come in ready to be added to the trucks, you just have to add the power and your done. I wish I knew more about them. Sorry.
OK Curtis. I will monkey around with it some more and maybe I can provide more information or find a way to send the question to someone familiar with the exact wiring. I appreciate the effort.
Technician: Jeff, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff
Jeff, Mechanic
Hello, please give me the model of you lift, it should be an a28c or a28d and i can provide a wiring diagram for your unit. Thanks
It says "a28cup".
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicHello, here is your diagrams, Thanks and let me know if you need more help.graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Jeff
Jeff, Mechanic
Jeff: thanks for the diagrams. For whatever reason, the images are too small to be legible. I've tried expanding them with no result. Could you email them to [email protected] Thanks Dan.
Sure will, thanks.