Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

2005 Ford: XLT..a 5.9L Cummins with an Allison Auto Trans..000 miles…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Ford...
I have a 2005 Ford F-650 XLT ProLoader Rollback. It has a 5.9L Cummins with an Allison Auto Trans. The truck has about 240,000 miles on it. For some reason whenever you make a left hand turn the throttle will not engage. Figuring it was the TPS I have switched that out already. It fixed the problem for a little while. However, The underlying problem has yet to be fixed. Whenever you're traveling every so often the dash lights come on (service engine soon. wait to start, check trans) the motor will stutter and then it will pick up where it left off. I have installed an electric fuel pump between the in line filter and the motor after being told this would eliminate that problem. Unfortunately it happens less frequently but it has not eliminated the problem. I'm open to suggestions.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/27/2010
Technician: DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Hello what fault code came up You have to get this info before you start throwing parts at it. any auto parts store will help you retrieve the codes
I have to get it to a ford dealer before I can get any codes. I've taken it to several places but no dice with being able to read it. The ford dealer said it wasn't pulling any codes the last time it was there about two weeks ago
Well if the service eng light comes on and off there is an issue. And it should be logging a code. The computer picks up the fault them flashes the light to inform you. Thats weird But since you do have the other lights that means that you have a loose power supply wire somewhere to the engine, Id check the batt connections for loose wires corrosion, rubbed thru insulation ect. Thats The reason your getting all the lights at the same time a power issue.
We checked wiring, Harnesses, ran all down wiring under the dash and by the firewall. When we put on the electric fuel pump, we did not disable the lift pump. After reading more into the lift pump I was told the lift pump contains a gear that operates off of the crank shaft fly wheel. So if the lift pump is failing and the impeller is blocking the fuel flow to the electric pump then in theory I would still have the same fuel flow issue that I was having BEFORE I added the electric fuel pump. Would this have anything to do with the loss of power making a left turn if the gear to the impeller was prohibiting fuel flow?

You should have an isb engine with an electric lift pump on it not a mechanical that runs off the cam. This would have no connection with the loss of power to the eng try shaking harness while unit is running. Start at engine. It helps to find issues like this
did you find anything more