Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

bleed brakes on ford f-800 (rear) the brake canaster fell off…

Customer Question
bleed brakes on ford f-800...
bleed brakes on ford f-800 (rear) the brake canaster fell off and after i replaced it i cant bleed it. it is a 1999 5.9 cummins
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/27/2010
Technician: josephg510, Diesel Technician replied 8 years ago
josephg510
josephg510, Diesel Technician
Hello my name isXXXXX would like to try to assist you first of all can you tell me if the braking system is a Girling design?
my truck is a 1999 ford f- 800.i just replaced the brake canaster on the left rear axel.it is an electric brake system and i dont know how to bleed it.can you help?
Have you already installed the brake cannister to the proper depth and locked up the 2" jam nut with the bleed port pointing upwards?If you have already performed this step then you can proceed with bleeding this unit,first of all I would like you to put wheel chocks at each of the wheels before proceeding,once all wheels are safeley chocked, next you need to check the fluid level of the hydraulic pump reservoir it looks jut like a power steering reservoir,fill that with automatic transmission fluid,next you can start the engine place the transmission in neutral to allow the park valve to pop out put your foot on the brakes and hold them you are only going to bleed the parking brake cannister at this point.Let me know if you would like me to continue if you do like what I have given you for info. to this point then hit the accept button and I will explain in further detail tomorrow on Sunday, Thank you very much for using Just Answer, Joe
josephg510
josephg510, Diesel Technician
Ok thank you for hitting the accept button here are the exact directions on how to bleed the parking brake chamber after it has been installed properly as I had explained in my prior response.1999 F and B-Series
Section 06-05B: Brake, Hydraulic, Parking/Emergency System 1999 F and B-Series Workshop Manual
ADJUSTMENTS Procedure revision date: 05/28/1997

Brake System Bleeding

1. Apply the parking brakes by pulling the parking brake control knob (TW-11) out (or push lever up). Check the fluid level in the brake pump reservoir.

1. Place chocks under the vehicle tires to prevent vehicle movement.

1. Fill the reservoir of the engine-driven brake pump with Motorcraft MERCON® ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent fluid to level indicated by the dipstick.

1. Start the engine and run at normal curb idle speeds for two to three minutes to purge all air from the lines in the system before the parking brake unitized valve (HR-1).

1. Pump the brake pedal several times.

1. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. If necessary, fill with Motorcraft MERCON® ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.

1. With engine running, cycle the parking brake hand control valve (TW-11) to the released and applied positions five times, allowing 5-10 seconds between each position.

1. With the engine running, push the parking brake control (TW-11) knob in (or push lever down). Bleed the left-hand spring chamber first by opening the bleed screw at the spring chamber allowing hydraulic fluid from the chamber to run out. Continue until the hydraulic fluid from the chamber runs clear and shows no signs of bubbles in the fluid (approximately 5-15 seconds). Close the bleed screw. Do not allow the engine-driven brake pump reservoir to empty.

1. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. If necessary, add to the reservoir with Motorcraft MERCON® ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent to bring the fluid level to approximately 76.3-88.9 mm (3.0-3.5 inches) from the bottom of the reservoir.

1. Repeat above two steps for the right-hand spring chamber.

1. NOTE: If the reservoir is overfilled with the parking brake released, fluid may be expelled through the reservoir overflow tube when the parking brake is applied.

Check the fluid level in the reservoir. The fluid level should be approximately two to three inches from the bottom of the reservoir. Add or remove fluid from the reservoir as necessary.

1. Pull the parking brake control (TW-11) knob out (or push lever up). Shut off engine.

1. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. Add or remove fluid from the reservoir as necessary to achieve the level indicated on the dipstick.

Parking Brake System Bleeding

Item Part Number Description
1 2N148 Reservoir
2 2K806 Control Valve
3 2A449 Unitized Valve
4 1126 Drum Brake Assy
5 Spring Brake Chamber
(Part of 2225)
6 2B195 Booster and Master Cylinder Assy
7 2B120 Caliper Assy
A 3/8-Inch Hose
B 1/2-Inch Hose
C 5/8-Inch Hose
D 1/4-Inch Hose
E 5/8-Inch Jounce Hose
F 1/8-Inch Jounce Hose
G 1/8-Inch Hose
H 3/4-Inch Hose

Edited by josephg510 on 6/28/2010 at 1:18 AM EST
Let me know if this is what you need or if you need further assistance I would be more than happy to provide you with the proper professional help that you need and deserve Thank You Very Much Joe