Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Idle-- I checked the engine oil psi with a gauge..sensors..runs great…

Customer Question
I have a CAT 257B...
I have a CAT 257B skid steer- The low engine oil psi alarm keeps going off at an idle-- I have changed the sensor in the block a few months ago and it seem to fix the problem but now the alarm is on all the time at idle-- I checked the engine oil psi with a gauge when changing the sensor and I think it was at 12 psi(was a few months ago) -- I see there is a few different oil psi sensors for this unit--- It runs great, any ideas? THANKS
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/27/2010
Technician: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Here are some other problems that have been seen, verify your serial number to see if it applies to your machine.

PROBLEM
The oil suction pipe on certain skid steer loaders and multi-terrain loaders may move into the cylinder block and restrict engine oil flow which can cause loss of engine oil pressure.

SLK05718-05719, 5721-5732, 5735-5750, 5752-5840, 5842-5850, 5852-5858, 5860-5870, 5872-5891, 5893, 5899-5938, 5940-5950, 5952-5955, 5957-5958, 5960-6057, 6060-6072, 6074-6077, 6079-6094, 6097-6106, 6109-6118, 6122-6124, 6127-6136, 6138, 6142, 6145-6150, 6152-6153, 6158, 6160-6169, 6171-6176, 6178-6180, 6183, 6187-6194, 6196-6198, 6200-6205, 6207-6211, 6213, 6217-6227, 6230-6236, 6238, 6240-6241, 6243-6252, 6254, 6262, 6264-6265, 6267-6277, 6282, 6284, 6287-6295, 6298, 6300-6302, 6304-6307, 6309-6311, 6313, 6315, 6317-6318, 6321-6324, 6327, 6329, 6332-6333, 6335-6337, 6339-6340, 6343, 6345, 6348-6359, 6361, 6363-6367, 6372-6373, 6376, 6379-6380, 6383, 6389-6391, 6399-6400, 6405-6407, 6409-6411, 6423-6424, 6426, 6430

PARTS NEEDED
Qty Part Number Description
2 9R1499 REFLECTOR
1(NNN) NNN-NNNNSEAL-O-RING
1(NNN) NNN-NNNNGASKET
1(NNN) NNN-NNNNFILTER-OIL
1(NNN) NNN-NNNNTUBE-OIL SUCTION

PROBLEM

Description of Change: The oil suction pipe and the strainer have been improved. The new oil suction pipe and the strainer have moved from the location at the front right hand side of the engine to a central position. This improvement provides improved oil pressure during machine operation.

Adaptable To: XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNOil Pipe is replaced by(NNN) NNN-NNNNOil Suction Tube. The improved oil suction tube and the strainer cannot replace the previous oil suction pipe and the strainer.

257B (S/N: SLK5725-UP)

PROBLEM

The internal design of the(NNN) NNN-NNNNWater Temperature Switch,(NNN) NNN-NNNNOil Pressure Switch and the(NNN) NNN-NNNNESOS has altered in order to improve reliability. This change alters the method of connection of the switches from AMPS to Deutsch. To accommodate this change,(NNN) NNN-NNNNJumper lead is required.

If necessary, replace(NNN) NNN-NNNNWater Temperature Switch with(NNN) NNN-NNNNWater Temperature Switch and(NNN) NNN-NNNNJumper lead .

If necessary, replace(NNN) NNN-NNNNOil Pressure Switch with(NNN) NNN-NNNNOil Pressure Switch and(NNN) NNN-NNNNJumper lead .

If necessary, replace(NNN) NNN-NNNNESOS with(NNN) NNN-NNNNESOS and(NNN) NNN-NNNNJumper lead .

257B (S/N: SLK1-2303)

Problem
The connecting rod bearings have been reported as being seized, rotated or loose. The big end bearings on the 3024 engines that are installed in Skid Steer Loaders have been caused by inadequate lubrication. The cause of the inadequate lubrication is a low engine oil level. The oil pump inlet can momentarily suck in air when the machine is on a steep grade with a minimum oil level in a dynamic state.

Solution

graphic

In order to minimize the potential for this occurrence, the minimum mark (1) on the dipstick should be moved to a point (2) that is 22.5 mm (0.89 inch) higher than the original minimum mark (1). In order to avoid confusion, the dipstick should be cut off at the original minimum mark (1). Ensure that the end of the dipstick (1) is deburred and ensure that the dipstick is cleaned before use.

Note: Do not overfill the oil pan as the crankshaft will be immersed in the oil, which will cause aeration of the oil and loss of oil pressure.

Note: The modifications to the dipstick have already taken place on all production engines.
257B (S/N: SLK1-UP)

PROBLEM:
Reports of intermittent electrical problems with some indicators have been received. The intermittent electrical problems result from moisture in jumper harness connections.

Jumper harnesses were used to adapt DT switch/solenoid connections to the AMP Jr. engine harness connections in the listed machines. Because the jumper harnesses were not fabricated with wire seals, moisture is penetrating the harness connections. The components that are being affected include the engine water temperature switch (217-5793), the oil pressure switch (217-5791), and the fuel shutoff solenoid (217-5204).

Note: There are three jumper harnesses – one for each part number mentioned above. No part numbers were assigned to these jumper harnesses.

SOLUTION:
A permanent resolution is being investigated.

In the meantime, if your machine experiences intermittent problems with the engine water temperature switch, the oil pressure switch, and/or the fuel shutoff solenoid, dry the moisture from the jumper harness connectors. Then, apply silicone sealant to the connectors to prevent moisture from re-entering the connections.
257B (SLK2325-UP) MULTI TERRAIN LOADERS