Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

stoped..I checked under the tractor..large stick stuck in the belts…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere lawn tractor L 120. I was cutting the grass and the tractor just stoped going forward. I checked under the tractor and found a large stick stuck in the belts. I ahve removed the stick and the mower deck works okay but I ahve on froward or reverse.
Do you know what cold be wrong ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/26/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
The stick has knocked the drive belt off the pulley. The drive is no longer turning the axle. Take a good look and you will find the belt out of position.

Thanks for the answer. Would that be the front or rear pully of the tractor. Do I need to remove the mower deck to replace the pully ??

Thanks

You will probably need to pull the deck to get to the drive belt. It could just be off the idler, in that case, you could just slip the belt back on and be done. I am including a diagram of the set up if you need it. Thanks. MP38/MP38677________UN13SEP06.gif

Edited by curtis beason on 6/29/2010 at 3:56 PM EST
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check and get back to you !
I will be here, Thanks.
Curtis, I took off the mower deck and check under the tractor. It appears that the belt is on all the pullys. I can pull the belt ( very hard ) when the engine is nutural. Should the belt be moving when tractor is idling ?? Mine is not !!
With the clutch out , the belt should turn. Do you have the rear wheels off the ground?
NO
This mower has a rod to put it out of gear so you can push it, could this have gotten into the free wheel position?
I don't think so. I have tried to push and pull it out several times.
Does the mower freewheel?

Yes, the mower will run when attached. The front pully shaft is turning when the engine is running. The belt does not move.

Once again, I can pull the belt ( it's hard to pull ) for the drive when the engine is off.

It looks like both front & rear pullys are free of debree but seems the rear is harder to trun than the front.

I guess I wasn't plain enough, will the tractor free wheel? Can you put it in the freewheel mode? Put it in freewheel , move it a little and then put it back in gear. It has to be something simple, the transmission doesn't just quit.

I will try. When it quit in the yard I put it in freewheel and pushed it back from the yard.

I will play with a little and get back to you later.

Thanks again

ok.
Curtis, I have played with the freewheel lever and I still can't get it to work. Any other idea's ??
Can you see if the shaft on the transmission is moving, or could the pulley have sheared the key and it is the only thing going around.?
I will check after work and get back to you.
Ok, I will watch for your reply.
It looks like it moves when I try to pull ( move ) the belt. The front pully is moving when I have the engine running.
I guess the only way to get a good look would be to remove the rear fender deck. It just seems that it should be something simple. I don't suppose that one of the wheels is spinning on the axle? That usually only happens after someone takes a wheel off. I'm at a loss, everything points to a transmission failure.Let me know how you want to proceed.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager

Chris, I went back to the basic..... looked at the diagram you sent to me with the belt going from frot to rear. Your first reply was correct. The belt was on both pully's ( front & rear ) but the center two pully's only had the belt going around one of them . After looking at the picture I noticed the belt needed to be in a "s" around both pully's. After placeing the belt in the "s" pattern the tractor now works fine.

Thanks for all you help. I will accept your answer.

Don

Good job!! Thanks!!