Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

electric starter from my 230 diesel..bolts..removing..disconnected…

i need to remove the...
i need to remove the electric starter from my 230 diesel. I am unsure as to which bolts or nuts to remove. is there a proper sequence for removing them? I have disconnected the electrical lines. Steve
6/27/2010
mike kelly
mike kelly, Mechanic
Hi,how are you?What year is the vehicle?
Mike, I bought the tractor used years ago, so I don't know the actual year.I probably bought it in the late 70's or early 80's and it was several years old at that time. The serial number is XXXXX On the serial number plate is a statement listing various patents used for the tractor. the last one was 1969. If it is any help, here is a description of what I am looking at for the starter. It is on the right side of the tractor (sitting in the seat and looking forward). It is approximately 6" long and about 3" in diameter. there are two small bolts and nuts at the rear of the unit. one is on the blind side of the unit and I hope I don't have to remove it because of its difficult location. There are four bolts protruding from the front. One larger one at the top with a major electrical wire and a smaller wire attached. two smaller ones below it. One on each side of the part, with a wire attached to the bolt on the interior side of the part. A final smaller bolt below these two has a piece of copper rod attached to it that runs forward and goes at a 90 degree down angle into another larger part. at the rear of the part, below where it seems to attach to a larger part is a bolt that is set 180 degrees from the axis of the starter. I am wondering if this somehow secures the starter to the larger part by some sort of shaft that drops down from the starter. That's about all I can think of. I look forward to your reply. Steve
Mike, I replied to your question on Sunday. To date I have heard nothing more from you. Do you have an answer for me yet? I need to get this part off so I can replace it and get the tractor back into service. Thanks, Steve
Hi,sorry i have been away for a while,i am unable to find any information on this,i will open your question back up.Thank you.
Mike, thanks for getting back with me. I have no idea why a diesel farm tractor question was given to a Mercedes mechanic, except that I guess you work on diesels. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you soon as I need to get this tractor back in service asap. Steve
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne,
I will help you with this,

open this site, is this what your starter looks like ??? Let me know
I don't know what brand you have of a 230, but I figured a MF,

http://electricmotorserviceonline.com/NEW-STARTER-FOR-MF135-MF150-MF165-MF230-MASSEY-FERGUSON-DIESEL-FARM-TRACTOR--P612860.aspx
Yeh, that looks like it. I didn't realize the whole thing was the starter. I just thought the smaller part on top was the starter. What happened was when I tried to start the tractor and turned the key, I got a constant whirlling noise that I assumed was a stuck starter. The only way I can stop it is to literally disconnect the battery. I assume this means the starter is stuck. Steve
H Steve.

Yes that is a bad starter,
very simple to change , mark your wires or snap a picture of them for reference,
remove mounting bolts and pull starter out, going to be a little heavy 30-35 Lbs.

If this helped you, please hit Accept,if not get back to me........Cool

Mike, If I an looking at this picture correctly, then the answer to my original question, "how do I remove the starter?" is that I take out three large bolts that appear to go into the unthreaded holes at the base of the starter. Is that correct? I assume they are easily accessible with a socket set. I am not where the tractor is, so I can't physically look at it right now. Steve

HI Steve,
Yes remove the 3 bolts, 1 in very rear might be threaded to block, no nut on it..
Pretty sure it is

Thanks, Wayne Cool
Wayne, Journeyman
3528 thanks. you helped a lot. I really thought the starter was just the little cylinder on the top of the thing. Steve

Hi Steve ,
Thank you for the accept,
I think you have me mixed up with the 1st expert from cars, his name was Mike

I'm Wayne Cool