Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

Ford: tractor..670 hrs and the transmission clutch is slipping

Customer Question
Hi I have a ford...
Hi I have a ford 1520 compact farm tractor with a dual clutch which was changed professionally at 590 hrs. I now have 670 hrs and the transmission clutch is slipping. No oil on the plates. Actually has some rust. I don't see any adjustment for the tramsmission clutch. The clutch pedal has about 1.5 " of play. The adjusting bolts for the PTO clutch have about .038" of play (in specs). I can't afford $1000 in parts every 200 hrs. plus the labor if I don't do it. What could be the problem for the premature wear? I always use the lowest gear when pulling items. Also can I replace it with a single clutch. About 1/8th the cost for parts.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/26/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
The double clutch is the heavy duty version. And as you have found out, it has no adjustments other than the free play on the linkage. Do you know if they used a new clutch or a rebuilt unit? It is possible that the clutch disc was the wrong one for the pressure plate. As i remember, you have to order the main disc separate from the pressure plate and if you don't get the right one, it is not as thick, so it would wear quicker. The new holland parts site has changed this week and I am not able to look at the parts breakdown of the clutches. I think you will find that to use the single plate clutch, you also have to change the flywheel. Thanks.

Hi Curtis, I bought the tractor from a friend who paid over 900.00 for the kit. His had broken springs etc. It should have been new. On replacing this, can I just change the discs instead if the entire assembly. How do I check to be sure the preasure plate is alright? Are the flywheel(s) turnable? A lot cheaper...Is rebuilt bad?

It looks like I'm going to have to split the tractor. Is there anything I should be doing at the same time while it's apart or I'm under there other than obvious service? I have a manual (IT) but it's somewhat limited. PS. looking at the transmission breakdown it has two input shafts One to each clutch so I would have to fuse the PTO with the transmission shaft or stick with the dual. Maybe I could go Hydrostatic!

You might only need the clutch disc, just look at the pressure plate to see if it is not damaged, springs are all intact and you can put it on the floor and push springs down by standing on the individual release arms. The flywheel can be turned if needed. and rebuilt can be just a good as new and a lot cheaper. Just be sure you look at the pilot brg or bushing and the throwout bearing. Let me know what you find. Thanks.
Hi again Curtis, Any suggestions on where to buy this or probably more important where not to buy this?
Tisco is one of the old name parts suppliers. they sell a quality replacement part. I'm sure there are others. Stay away from the Chinese parts. thanks. http://www.tiscoparts.com/
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager