Benjy
Benjy, Technician
Experience:  10+ Years Experience Factory Trained John Deere, CaseIH, Kubota, Agco, Mahindra, Valra, Fendt,
20629389

I have a John deere 50d excavator with cab and a/c. 2007 model.

Customer Question

I have a John deere 50d excavator with cab and a/c. 2007 model. I purchased it new from our local John Deere dealer. currrently 650 hours.
my problem has been since new that when working in temps over 90 degrees. with a/c on. the engine temp indicator shows overheating. I can stop work and allow engine to cool off in about 5 minutes and then start back to work for 15 to 20 minutes until overheating again.
I wonder if there is a fix for the overheating. Our local dealer has checked the machine 3 times and can't find the problem
Is there a larger fan or different fan blade that would move more air? We have cleaned the radiator and ac often but doesn't help. Thanks for any ideas. XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Benjy replied 8 years ago.

Ok, the first thing to do is verify that the machine is actually reaching overheating. I have seen several deeres with a poorly calibrated temp guage. Use an infra red thermometer gun to check the temperature of the upper radiator hose and the cylinder head. Make sure that when checking the cylinder head you are getting a reading off of the head itself. This of course needs to be done when the machine is in the over hot condition. Also get a reading from the lower radiator hose this will help in diagnosis.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will check those temperatures . The air conditioner doesn't cool very well when temp guage indicates a over heated condition. What temps should I be looking for at top and bottom of readiator? Thanks Jim