Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

bobcat: it today on the first crank (...after..cabin..cannot start…

Customer Question
have bobcat 843. i started...
have bobcat 843. i started it today on the first crank (after few weeks of idle).
after a minute or 2 i had to go out of the cabin to attach the forks. i stopped the engine, attached the forks and the next thing is that i cannot start the bobcat anymore. the key turns on, battery is OK but no starter, no noise of of cranking, just dead silence...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/25/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery system? First thing, check your safety switches to be sure the seat belt or park brake switch has not stuck. then check the battery voltage, should have at least 12.5 volts, then check from the positive post to the frame, you should have the same battery voltage, this shows that you have a good ground. If no voltage at this check, look at the battery negative cable, at the battery and at the frame connection end. Be sure the ground is clean and tight. When ground checks out, follow the positive cable to the starter relay and check the connections there, both cables, including the one going to the starter. Check the switch connection at the solenoid and check the fuse for the starting circuit. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

Thanks for the answer but unfortunatly it's too late, the problem was already solved. i was asked to tap the starter and the machine started right away...

have a nice week.

Good job!! So the starter was the problem.
apperantly.
Have a great day!!