Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Can you put gas in a diesel engine?

Customer Question
can you put gas in a diesel engine?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/24/2010
Technician: Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert

HI. Thanks for using JA!

If possible, it would be best to drain the gas out of the tank. The engine will either not run at all or if it does it will smoke and run very poorly.

Plus. Gas does not have lubricity in it. You could hurt the fuel system.

This is a 1989 Motorhome I put 25gals. of gas in a 150gal tank of diesel. This is a 6V92 Detroit diesel engine. Is there anything I can put in the tank, baring draining it all out?

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be added. Sorry. To be honest, a 6V92 is a very tough engine. Filling the rest of the tank with diesel may be an option. However, the engine will smoke some until all the gas has burned out.

I'm sure if gas was pout into alot of later model engines on the road today, the injectors would fail eventually.

I was told by another mach. to add 3QTs of nondetergent oil to the tank. Do think that would help? I put the gas in by mistake than realized what I had done, then filled the rest of the tank with diesel.

It's worth a shot. I know it would be a major hassle to have the gas drained out. The ratio of gas to diesel (5 to 1) would be in your favor.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert

Thank You Scott, will give it a try

Ken

Your very welcome. Let me know how it works out.