Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

They rebuilt the engine with new bearings..oil pressure..engines…

Customer Question
I been contacted by...
I been contacted by a man overseas in regards XXXXX XXXXX Heath Henderson conversion in a airplane. They rebuilt the engine with new bearings and he is worried about the oil pressure the engine has a tag on it that says 125 lbs, and he feels that is to high, ou EAA chapter built a airplane that used a Clancey Henderson and it was about 160# XXXXX and 140# XXXXX I have worked on aircraft engines for 40 years and I really do not have a answer for him can anyone help? Thank You
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/25/2010
Technician: Dr. Hamman, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Information on this engine is going to be really hard to come by, because of the age and rarity of this old engine. Henderson motorcycle company that produced the engine has long since been out of business, and that leaves mostly Museums as a source for information. Most people that had experience with these have long since left the world of the living, and that puts an end to a valuable resource. I suppose for a static display the oil pressure would be a mute issue, but if it was to be used airborne, it would be a very critical bit of information. The Virginia Aviation museum has at least one of the heath planes on display, and they may very well be a great source for information on this engine. The Smithsonian has one of these engines on display at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. In the past the Smithsonian has been a super source for archival information on early aircraft and their engines. They may well be the best and only source for this obscure information on this engine. I needed to fabricate a part for a P51 mustang, and was able to get a copy of the original airframe blue prints from the Smithsonian. Lastly I know the National Museum of the Air Force had one of these engines on display at one point and they would be another potential source for original information on this engine. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

I have access to that information, this is going to be a flying engine when the plane is done, I,m looking for someone who works on the Henderson or operates one as I would like to give back 100% correct information. Yes I have worked in the aircraft field for 40 years and own my own repair shop for older aircraft and engine repair.

Thank You

Yes with airborne future for this old gem I hope that the metallurgy is intact, it wasn't all that good when these parts were new compared to modern standards. On some of these old aircraft engines museums are the only resource for information. The museums not only try to preserve examples of old aircraft, and engines they try to preserve the technical information that accompanied the engines, including specifications and service data. I have retrieved technical information I needed for service many times from museums, and they are more than happy to assist, because it preserves other examples of the old hardware. Honestly the people who worked on this engine in its day are probably all gone. Even if there are some people left, memories fade and that can produce unpredictable results. Try the museums, it may well be your best and only resource for this information. Good luck with your search, and thanks for using Just Answer.

Sorry I received no information to use that I already did not know, I know finding information on a old Henderson would be tough

Thank You

Good luck with your search, try the Smithsonion, at this point they are probably your best and possibly only resource for this information.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19730133000

Good luck with your search, and thanks for using Just Answer.