Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

dignostic code 232-04 5 volt supply to low what should i look for

Customer Question

i have a 3406 cat with a dignostic code 232-04 5 volt supply to low what should i look for
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Could you get me your engine serial number please? This will help me give accurate information. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is 6TS05343
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

a 232-4 means there is a short in the 5 volt supply circuit of your engine. This is detected by the ECM.

Your engine has 6 sensors that use this 5 volt supply. The most likely cause is one of the sensors has shorted out and is causing all of the sensors not to report.

It is possible that the problem is in your engine harness or ECM, BUT NOT LIKELY. 90% of the time it is a sensor.

This is normally troubleshot by unplugging each of the sensors one at a time unitl the 232-4 goes inactive. The last sensor that you unplug that causes the code to go in active is your problem.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just unplug and one should go inactive
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 years ago.

Currently your engine has just the one fault. 232-4. When you unplug the boost sensor for example, if the boost sensor is causing the short, the 232-4 code will no linger be active and you will then have an active code for a Boost sensor current high (open circuit)

If the boost sensor was not the problem, the 232-4 will remain active. Then you just continue unplugging sensor until the 232-4 goes in active.

May I ask how you retrieved the 232-4 code? Do you have a diagnostic tool?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes a pro-link and i havn't found any thing but bad wires on one of the sensors
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 years ago.
Great. That may be where the problem lies. Which sensor is it? Can you repair the wires?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
repaired the wires and installed a new sensor but it still seams like i have a loss of power and the check engine light is still on and i still have a that same code on the pro-link
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
Try unplugging one sensor at a time and see if the code changes. If it does not, you will need to disconnect the engine harness from you ecm. If the code goes away, the harness is bad. If the code does not, your ecm is bad. Let me know how it comes out.