Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Nassau: serviced.., on, lots of vibration then it shuts..shuts down…

Customer Question
just had boat serviced top...
just had boat serviced top to bottom (2005 sea ray with twin 446 cumins diesel)

Friend just called the port engine has shut dow, he can turn it over, on, lots of vibration then it shuts down....

they are currently between Bimini and Nassau, hoping we were missing something simple so we can get the engine going for them
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
6/13/2010
Technician: JCTech, Diesel Mechanic replied 8 years ago
JCTech
JCTech, Diesel Mechanic
HiCustomer
Most likely you have resolved this issue..............
The most likely, but not the only, cause is a mistake made when servicing the engine. Something like a fuel system tap not turned on after the service or similar.
check the Racor filters for water in the bowl and that they appear full of fuel.
Next thing to check is the fuel system, check for leaks, loose filter, or chaffed hoses that could be sucking air into the fuel system.
I do not recognize your engine model, can you advise if it is an electronic engine, QSB xxx, or mechanical fuel system, C8.3 xxx, or the engine serial number.
If a filter is loose, the best you can do is check the o-ring and refit it, use a rag or similar to grip it to tighten.
If it is a mechanical engine, I would try bleeding the fuel system using the priming pump on the fuel pump side of the engine, 1/2 way down the engine to the rear of the fuel pump. The priming pump is a spring loaded plunger type, just push it in, it will spring out by itself. if there is air in the fuel there will be little resistance when the pump is pushed in, once fuel is pumping through the resistance will increase, it does not get solid, you can hear when fuel is up to the injector pump, there is a relief valve that lifts and makes a squeak noise, if the stb engine is running you will probably not hear it.
Use a 19 mm wrench to loosen of 1,2,5 &6 injector pipes at the injector end, and crank the engine until fuel squirts out, tighten and start, 3&4 are very difficult to access, so do not try, they will bleed themselves once the engine is running

Hope this helps

Edited by JCTech on 6/13/2010 at 10:36 PM EST