Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

My 2006 Newmar motor home with 25 , 000 miles..overheat..temp gauge…

Customer Question
I have a CAT C7...
I have a CAT C7 rear radiator engine in my 2006 Newmar motorhome with 25,000 miles which I have owned since new. It has begun to overheat when climbing hills. I suspect the radiator fan because of the absence of the fan noise I usually hear when the temp gauge rises above the 12:00 position. The fan seems to turn OK on idle and there appears to be good airflow. The radiator cooling fins are flushed with water each time I wash the coach. The crankcase breather is mounted below the engine so the oily gasses do not enter the radiator air stream. Engine RPM during climb is 2000-2200. Speed is about 45-50mph. Upon inspection of the fan I noticed a wire that appears to connect to the fan clutch. Is the fan electrically controlled? If so, is there a fuse I can check? Is a clutch failure a known problem. Please help....thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/12/2010
Technician: FIX-IT, Technician replied 8 years ago
FIX-IT
FIX-IT, Technician
Hi there.i can help you with this..ill need your engine serial #,is there an airline going to the hub? or just wires?

Thanks for the help.

The engine number is XXXXX I see only one wire (or small cable) to the fan clutch hub.

The local Freighliner mechanics I talked to yesterday both told me that I was nuts because I told them I used to be able to hear the fan when the engine temperature rose. They told me it's direct drive and the fan speed only changes with engine RPM and there is no temperature influence. Upon further inspection, I saw the wire. So, I'm thinking there must be.

What I'm trying to do here is do the troubleshooting before bringing it in to be fixed. If simple, I would rather fix myself. But I want to avoid having to bring it in 2-3-4 times only to watch them shotgun the repair until they get it right. This problem only shows up climbing mountains in the heat. Something that requires a lengthy test drive and not likely to be performed by the mechanic.

Thanks!

i need to be certain of your fan hub can you take a pic ?,is it a wire or airline?,but before we get deep into this when the engine gets hot does the check engine light come on? if the cel does'nt come on then the vehicle is'nt over heating heres some extra info click on the link..