Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

diagram..diesel engine..batteries prior to cranking it over…

Customer Question
i am looking for a...
i am looking for a diagram to install an altenator and a maintainer to a diesel engine. the engine has an electric starter but no charging system. we always have to charge the batteries prior to cranking it over.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
6/10/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Go to your local napa or auto parts store that knows what is going on and buy an alternator that is called a one wire alternator. It has to have one wire installed , from the alternator terminal to the battery positive side. That is all that is required. The alternator self energizes when idle goes above 1000 rpm and doesn't cut off till the engine is shut down, it has its own regulator built in and will do everything you want. All you will have to do is find a way to mount it. Thanks.