Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

I have a 1992 Ford 9030 Bidirectional tractor where the steering

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Ford 9030 Bidirectional tractor where the steering is not working correctly. It will turn one direction as expected but will hardly turn at all in the other direction. I have to turn the steering wheel quickly many revolutions to change the angle of the frame. If I turn the steering wheel slowly there is no response at all i.e. the steering cylinders do not move. The direction that is not responsive changes with the direction the seat is facing. When the seat is facing the engine the problem occurs turning to the left, when the seat is facing away from the engine the problem accuse turning to the right. This problem has been getting worse over time.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 years ago.
I look at the parts book and all I find is the steering valve and two steering cylinders??? If this is correct, what you have is one of the steering cylinders is leaking internally. I have only seen one of these tractors and it was in Austin, Texas. Just wondering?? If all you have is the two cylinders and the gerotor steer valve, I would suggest that you have both cylinders resealed. Get back to me . Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There has to be some valve assembly incorporated into the seat pivot in order to change the steering direction when the seat is rotated. If the seat/steering column is facing the engine end of the tractor and I turn the steering wheel clockwise the cylinder on the left side of the tractor must lengthen to make the tractor turn to the right. After I turn the seat/steering column around so that I am facing away from the engine my left hand is now on the opposite side of the cab. I turn the steering wheel clockwise to make the tractor turn to the right the cylinder on my left side must lengthen. That is the right side the tractor as viewed from the original position.. That is the opposite direction for the cylinder movement with the same clockwise motion on the steering valve. There has to be more involved than two cylinders and the gerotor steer valve. I believe that this problem has got to be some kind of leakage in the seat/steering column pivot value. I need someone with actual experience with these tractors as this seat value assembly appears to be very difficult to get at. Do I have to lift the cab? Can the valve be reached from inside the cab by removing the seat? If the problem is leakage within one or both of the cylinders how then can you explain the fact the problem only happens in one direction and that I can switch that direction by switching two of the lines between the seat rotation value and the steering gerotor valve?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 years ago.
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php new Holland part site. This is the rotary valve under the seat. I still think that the problem is the steering cylinders. If you don't want me to keep working with you, just opt me out as the expert.

Edited by curtis beason on 4/9/2010 at 2:58 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will check for bypassing oil in the cylinders tomorrow. If there is a cylinders leaking problem it is intermittent (i.e. not always there), one way (i.e. only leeks in one direction) and at time huge (i.e. almost as fast as I can turn the streaming wheel). It should be easy to prove by removing the hose from the outlet side of the cylinder after the cylinder is moved to full stroke. I will Accept your answer if that proves to be the case.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 years ago.
Ok, you obviously know how to do that, many people can't figure it out. The valve under the seat is a rotary manifold. The way they hid it in the parts diagrams makes it hard to locate in the book, much less on the tractor. Let me know what you find. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yesterday the weather here turned terrible winds gusting over 110km/hr cold and snowing. Trees down, damaged property all over the area. The electrical power was off and on several times yesterday and for most of last night

I have considerable experience with repairs on heavy equipment many different repairs on many different trucks and tractors over the last 30 years. What I was hoping for was advice from someone with considerable experience with this particular type of tractor as it is quite unique ( the seat/steering column can pivot around and fact the opposite direction in the cab).

I did get a chance to test for bypassing oil in the steering cylinders this morning. There is no oil coming from the return side of ether cylinder after the cylinders have moved to full stroke i.e. no sign of leakage within either cylinder.

I have located a hydraulic diagram for the tractor. I now suspect the problem is related to the signal line that connects the steering valve and the steering relief / priority valve. Therefore it could be related to a problem in the steering value, rotating seat base value (unlikely), or the steering relief/ priority value.

Anyway I am 100% sure this problem has nothing to do with leaking steering cylinders.

One of your email just said "hotlinking from this site is forbidden" I don't even know what that means

I cannot get on the CNH Dealer online parts catalog that you sent me a link to. All I get CNH Dealer Online Parts Catalog - Error

There was no user session detected. Your session may have been terminated due to a lack of activity in the last 30 minutes.

<< Back

I intend to opt you out as the expert
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer. I have considerable experience with repairs on heavy equipment many different repairs on many different trucks and tractors over the last 30 years. What I was hoping for was advice from someone with considerable experience with this particular type of tractor as it is quite unique ( the seat/steering column can pivot around and fact the opposite direction in the cab). Perhapes I should just get my deposit back. I will muddle thru this problem myself.