Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

Caterpillar D3 dozer how and where to adjust steering brakes

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
3/27/2010
Technician: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Could you send me your serial number?

The different versions of this machine can have optional ways to access the adjusters. The serial number will help me find the best way to access them.

What problem are you having?

Is it the brakes won't hold or is it the steering clutches won't release?

Will the lever or pedal you operate disengage the track?

SER X{Y}5V000263X MOD D3G{B} The numbers are hard to make out . The brakes dont hold.

The first and last mark on your serial number is XXXXX a (*) not a letter. I am guessing your serial number is XXXXX this is the correct spacing compared to your number and the closest match. It should be a model D3B, G models are newer and only come as hydrostatic drive. G models have no steering pedals, just a single steering lever on the left.

If your linkage rods have not been adjusted, you will only need to do the field adjustment procedure. If the rods have been adjusted, you may need to recheck the lengths so adjusting the brakes will be in the correct relation to the steering clutch releasing.

It is very important to know your steering clutches are releasing. If they are not, adjusting the brakes too tight will cause damage to the brakes and the clutches.

graphic

graphic

Torque for all 1/2 in. locknuts that hold rod ends in place on the rods ... 55 ± 10 N·m (41 ± 7 lb ft)

NOTE: All rod assembly measurements must be made in a straight line between the centerlines of the rod end mounting holes.

(C) Assembled length of rod assembly ... 367.0 ± 1.5 mm (14.45 ± .06 in)

(D) Dimension of shaft assembly (8) from firewall ... 109.0 ± 1.5 mm (4.29 ± .06 in)

(G), (H) Pedal force ... 182 ± 10 N (41 ± 2 lb)

(K) Pedal travel ... 80 ± 5 mm (3.1 ± .2 in)

(M) Assembled length of rod assembly (7) ... 422 mm (16.6 in)

(6) 8Y4581 Spring:

Length under test force ... 93.2 mm (3.67 in)

Test force ... 48.2 N (1.90 lb)

Free length after test ... 81.5 mm (3.21 in)

Outside diameter ... 20.0 ± 0.5 mm (.79 ± .02 in)

(11) 9H6700 Spring:

Length under test force ... 254 mm (10.0 in)

Test force ... 24.2 (5.45 lb)

Free length after test ... 222.3 mm (8.75 in)

Outside diameter ... 26.98 mm (1.062 in)

NOTE: Apply 3S6252 RTV Silicone Sealant to housing assembly (9) and adjuster cover (4) before assembling to the steering clutch cover.

Adjuster cover (4) must be installed with the notch facing away from the machine centerline.

NOTE: Apply 5P3413 Pipe Sealant to bolts (1) that fasten housing assembly (9) and adjuster cover (4) to the steering clutch cover.

NOTE: Lubricate shafts (10) with 5P0960 lubricant at assembly.

Brake Adjustment Procedure

When adjusting the brakes, the brakes must be released. Put blocks in front of and behind both tracks to prevent machine movement during brake adjustment.

Field Procedure To Adjust Brakes
1. Measure brake pedal travel:

a. Measure length (J) with the brake pedal at rest.

b. Measure length (L) with the brake pedal depressed with a force of 182 ± 10 N (41 ± 2 lb).

c. Subtract length (L) from length (J) to determine pedal travel (K).

2. Pedal travel (K) must be 80 ± 5 mm (3.1 ± .2 in) when pushed with a force of 182 ± 10 N (41 ± 2 lb).

For each 5 mm (.2 in) of pedal travel exceeding 80 mm (3.1 in), tighten adjusting screw (3) clockwise 60° (1/6turn) until 80 mm (3.1 in) of pedal travel (K) is obtained.

NOTE: 60° (1/6 turn) is equal to one flat on the adjusting screw hex.

Shop Procedure To Adjust Brakes
1. Tighten adjusting screw (3) to a torque of 45 ± 7 N·m (33 ± 5 lb ft).

2. Loosen adjusting screw (3) two and one half turns (fifteen flats on the hex).

NOTE: Installation of pedal assemblies (14) requires a minimum of two washers between pedal assemblies and one washer at each end. If required end play is not attained add washers at ends only.

End play required ... 1.0 ± 0.5 mm (.04 ± .02 in)

3. Assemble shaft assemblies (8) to dimension (D) from the firewall.

4. Assemble rod (7) to lever on pedal (13).

5. Pull rod (7) downward [with enough force to ensure that brake pedal assembly (14) is against upper stop (13)]. Adjust the length of rod (7) to obtain dimension (M).

6. Attach rod (7) to lever (15) on shaft assembly (8).

7. Pull lever (2) to its rear most position and hold.

8. Assemble rod (5) to lever at shaft assembly (8).

9. Pull rod (5) toward the rear [with enough force to ensure that the brake pedal assembly (14) is against the upper stop (13)], adjust the length of rod (5) to freely connect to lever (2).

10. Pedal travel (K) must be 80 ± 5 mm (3.1 ± .2 in) when pushed with a force of 182 ± 10 N (41 ± 2 lb).

The difference in pedal travel (K) between left pedal (G) and right pedal (H) must not exceed 5 mm (.2 in) at a pedal force of 182 ± 10 N (41 ± 2 lb).

NOTE: (J) - (L) = (K)

11. Check steering control valve cam to roller clearance and adjust if necessary.

NOTE: Proper adjustment of the steering clutch control valve cam to roller clearance is important to assure proper operation of steering clutches and brakes. See Steering Clutch Adjustment under topic Steering Clutch Control Group.

12. Follow Steps 1 through 11 for the other side.

Not much help. I have foot brakes and hand clutches.

Hand controls were an add-on factory option, after the first few years everyone went to foot controls. These are more common in my area. Below are the instructions for combines controls.

graphic

graphic

(G) Assembled length of rod assembly ... 367.0 ± 1.5 mm (14.45 ± .06 in)

(D) Lever travel ... 155 ± 7 mm (6.1 ± .3 in)

(H) Dimension of shaft assembly (7) from firewall:

O-ROPS ... 109.0 ± 1.5 mm (4.29 ± .06 in)

E-ROPS ... 124.0 ± 1.5 mm (4.88 ± .06 in)

(L) Assembled length of rod assemblies (16):

O-ROPS ... 411 ± 1.5 mm (16.2 ± .06 in)

E-ROPS ... 366 ± 1.5 mm (14.4 ± .06 in)

(M) Assembled length of rod assemblies (17):

O-ROPS ... 422 mm (16.6 in)

E-ROPS ... 377 mm (14.8 in)

(6) 8Y4581 Spring:

Test force ... 48.2 N (1.90 lb)

(10) 9H6700 Spring:

Test force ... 24.2 (5.45 lb)

Outside diameter ... 26.98 mm (1.0625 in)

(17) 8Y3231 Spring:

Length under test force ... 178 mm (7.0 in)

Test force ... 160 ± 15 N (36.0 ± 3.4 lb)

Free length after test ... 119.5 ± 3 mm (4.70 ± .12 in)

Outside diameter ... 20.0 mm (.79 in)

NOTE: Apply 3S6252 RTV Silicone Sealant to housing assembly (8) and adjuster cover (4) before assembling to the steering clutch cover.

NOTE: Adjuster cover (4) must be installed with the notch facing away from the machine centerline.

NOTE: Apply 5P3413 Pipe Sealant to bolts (1) that fasten housing assembly (8) and adjuster cover (4) to the steering clutch cover.

NOTE: Lubricate shafts (9) with 5P0960 lubricant at assembly.

Brake Adjustment Procedure

Field Procedure To Adjust Brakes
1. Measure brake steering lever travel:

a. Measure length (C) with the steering lever at rest.

b. Measure length (B) with the steering lever pulled with a force of 88 ± 10 N (20 ± 2 lb).

c. Subtract length (C) from length (B) to determine steering lever travel (D).

2. Steering lever travel (D) must be 155 ± 7 mm (6 ± 2 in) when pushed with a force of 88 ± 10 N (20 ± 2 lb).

For each 7 mm (.3 in) of steering lever travel exceeding 155 ± 7 mm (6 ± 2 in), tighten adjusting screw (3) clockwise 60° (1/6 turn) until 155 ± 7 mm (6 ± 2 in) of lever travel is obtained.

Shop Procedure To Adjust Brakes

NOTE: Use washers (12) as required for installation of rollers (11). If required end play is not attained add washers at ends only.

End play required ... 1.5 mm (.06 in)

NOTE: Use washers (13) as required for installation of lever assemblies (14). A minimum of one washer is required at each of the six spaces. If required end play is not attained add washers at ends only.

3. Assemble shaft assembly (7) to dimension (H) from the firewall.

4. Assemble rods (16) to dimension (L) and rods (17) to dimension (M) on levers (14) and lever assemblies (15).

5. Install rods (16) and (17) to levers (21), pulling rods down with levers (15) resting on the plate of lever assemblies (14).

6. Pull lever (2) to its rear most position and hold.

7. Assemble rod (5) to lever at shaft assembly (7).

8. Pull rod (5) toward the rear [with enough force to ensure that the brake pedal (20) is against the upper stop (19)], adjust the length of rod (5) to freely connect to lever (2).

9. Steering lever travel (D) must be 155 ± 7 mm (6 ± 2 in) when pushed with a force of 88 ± 10 N (20 ± 2 lb).

NOTE: (B) - (C) = (D)

10. Check steering control valve cam to roller clearance and adjust if necessary.

11. Follow Steps 1 through 10 for the other side.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician