How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Curtis B. Your Own Question
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Category: Heavy Equipment
Satisfied Customers: 28700
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
Type Your Heavy Equipment Question Here...
Curtis B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To whom it may concern, I have a Case 580c Backhoe & I need

Customer Question

To whom it may concern,
I have a Case 580c Backhoe & I need to put in transmission fluid/hydralic fluid which is
measured directly in front of the seat on the floor through a plug w/ an extension into the transmission casing itself.
I do have a manual for it, but a machanic is using it for the time being.
To be honest with you I don't know specificly what fluid goes into that casing because we put hydralic fluid into the large well that supports the upper bucket arm seen thru a window circle in the tank. This tank is accessed by openning it up w/ a 3/4 in braking bar to unscrew.
So that's why I have a tendency to think that the fluid for the housing in front of my seat is transmission fluid. At times I think they're called one in the same?
Please clarify which fluid I need. Cases website says the fluid I need is an Ariens product? Sincerely Thomas
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 years ago.

What you need is the same hytrans fluid that goes in the hyd system. Just us a good grade that has good anti wear properties. Any tractor or auto supply carry what you need. Case / newholland spec. calls it c134. Thanks.

Edited by curtis beason on 3/6/2010 at 5:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Curtis,

I just got off the phone with a New Holland dealer and he said to use the 85140 gear oil for the transmission housing directly under my seat. What's your imput on that oil vera using the htrans for both?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 years ago.
No way, even if it has a manual transmission, it always uses the same fluid as the hydraulic system. But I was assuming you had a shuttle transmission (automatic) with a f/r lever on the steer column and a gearbox for speeds. I worked for a New Holland Dealer and ran a rental fleet with 12 case 580 backhoes in it. Even the old 8n and 9 n ford tractors used the same fluid in them. I can't think of a single New Holland unit that uses 85/140 in anything. Take a coat hanger wire or other stiff wire and us as a longer dipstick and get a sample of what is in the transmission now. Gear oil is obvious thick and dark colored and has a strong odor to it. Hyd oil, thin almost clear and little odor. Thanks.
Curtis B. and other Heavy Equipment Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.


Thanks for the great information and I trust you. I will do just that what you've suggested and yes I do have the shuttle shift w/ the 4 shift knobs on the floor w/ the forward / reverse on the column.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 years ago.