Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a 2001 P1000 International step van it misses in 2nd…

I have a 2001 P1000...
I have a 2001 P1000 International step van it misses in 2nd and 3rd very sluggish what could it be
1/30/2010
Technician: Dale Stockstill, Diagnostic Tech replied 12 years ago
Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Diagnostic Tech

My name is Dale.

Could you give me a little more information about the size of the engine, miles on the vehicle, how long it has been doing it. type transmission that is in the vehicle. etc.??

Sincerely,

Dale

V8 International with a 5 speed 164,000 miles started when the driver ran the fuel very low it may be the fuel fulter or injectors what do you think

You are absolutely right about running the fuel low. I is not an absolute diagnosis but the fuel filters and injectors should be cleaned every 25-30,000 miles. How often have you changed the Fuel filter and cleaned the injectors. I really need to know what size V-8 it has in it and whether it is a gasoline or diesel engine?

You should clean the injectors by running "Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner" through the engine about every 25,- 30,000 miles. In addition the fuel filter or filters should be changed immediately after you run the Techron through it. I have used Techron for 20 years and NOTHING comes close to cleaning a set of injectors like Techron. I put it in at 1 & 1/2 times the recommended strength on a fuel tank of fuel and run the vehicle on as many short runs as possible to give the chemical time to clean and soak the injectors and the carbon on the intake valves.

So, give me a little more information on the V-8 and let me know if it has been being serviced regularly and I will advise you what to do.

Sincerely,

Dale

it is a V8 diesel and the mech are telling me the injectors can't be cleaned they have to be replaced we have the truck serviced on a 3000 PM

I received you note about what your Mechanic said that the injectors need to be replaced. That is true sometimes but there are thousands if not millions of injectors replaced that just need to be cleaned. I do not know why anyone would spend hundreds of $$ replacing the injectors before running a tank or two of Techron through the system. I have seen many, many injectors saved by this process. Of course the mechanic will tell you that Techron will not work because he wants to sell you the injectors and the labor to replace them.

This is your call but for my money I always run Techron through them before I replace them. I just works most of the time.

Sincerely,

Dale

Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Diagnostic Tech
where can I buy itwere can I buy it
where can I buy the product you recomend

Sincerely,

Dale

You can purchase Techron at any Chevron Service Station as well as Walmart and Many Auto Parts Stores. Please Note: There are 2 types of Techron. One is a less powerful solution that is made for the Older Carbureted engines and the there is Techron for Fuel Injector Cleaning for Gasoline & Diesel Engines. Remember: If the instructions on the bottle call for 12 ounces for every 12 gallons then you would want to put 18 ounces for every 12 gallons. This equals 1 & 1/2 the recommended formula and gets the job done faster and better. It will not hurt you fuel injection system. Also Remember: Try do do as many short runs where the engine gets completely warm and then sits for at least an hour or two. This allows the chemicals to soak the internal parts of the injector and the carbon build up on the stem of the intake valve. The chemical softens the carbon and varnish and then the engine removes it through the tail pipe via the internal combustion process. Do not fill it up with Techron and then put it out for a long hi-way run. You will be just wasting your money and time. This is a process that works but you MUST follow my instructions if you want it to work properly.

If the system is really dirty you may have to do it 2 times to get it clean. Also, sometimes after the injectors are clean one or two injectors may need replacing but not all of them. Make sure you figure out how much the fuel tank holds and then how much Techron it will take to run a complete full tank of fuel through the system.

I would appeciate it if you would report back to me after you have completed the process. I think you will be quite surprized. This does not mean that Techron is cure all for any and every thing wrong with you engine. You may have ignition maintenance issues etc. but you will know that the fuel system is clean and working properly.

Do not forget to change the fuel filter AFTER the Techron process is completed.

Sincerely,

Dale

Edited by Dale Stockstill on 1/31/2010 at 3:12 PM EST