Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  25 years experience
19040450

Water pump location on C15 Caterpillar engine and how to

How to remove water pump from 2005 C15 Caterpillar engine?

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.

This can be a tough water pump to replace if you don't have much mechanic abilities. An experienced tech will take around 5 to 6 hours to replace water pump. First you would need to remove turbo piping hooked to the cgi cooler . Then remove the diverter valve and the cgi cooler. Then remove the mounting bracket for the cgi cooler. On most applications you will have to remove the alternator and bracket. Then remove the back section off of water pump. The water pump mounting bolts will be thru the front cover, there is around 5 or 6 of them. Then you should be able to pry the water pump out. Another thing i like to do is also replace both of the blue hoses that are attached to water pump, they almost always leak once you get engine back together. I hope this helps you out, if you have anymore questions or info just ask. If you reply please include engine serial number also.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I had already got down to the cooler and was not sure if it had to come off. None of our other trucks have it on them and I was hoping to not have to take it off.

Serial number 4CPXH0928EBK

Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.

It is not bad as it looks. Once you get the cooler off, it is just like the older style ones after that. I do also loosen or sometimes remove the intake side of turbo to aid in removal of cooler. I would also replace those 2 blue hoses because if one leaks after reassembly, it is pretty tough to get to them then. If you have anymore questions, just ask.