Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

star: new exhaust system..no power whats

Customer Question
I have a 2008 western...
I have a 2008 western star with a 60series Detroit engine. It has been in the shop more then i have had it . It has that new exhaust system on it (regen)it gives poor fuel milege (3.49m/gal)and has no power whats so ever.Iam getting pretty discourage with this and no one seems to beable to fix it.the dealer just keeps throwing parts at it. Has anyone ever taken this regen exhaust system off .Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!

0
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
11/18/2009
Technician: Buddy, Technician replied 8 years ago
Buddy
Buddy, Technician

Hi there. Welcome to JA. I am Buddy,and i will try and help you out.

What is your engine serial number or last 6 of your truck vin?

Has it always had this problem since you had it, or has it gotten worse?

Also do you have anymore symptoms besides low power and poor fuel mileage?

What went bad to cause the aftertreatment system to need replacing?

I will also look at past warranty claims and see what all has been done also.

Thanks
Buddy

the last 6 of the vin is pz44850 .It has had the problem from the start poor milege and absolutly no power and it is getting worse i hate this truck.this truck always has problems regen the exhaust always engine light on or flashing at you .you will have too look at the warranty claims to find out what they put on for parts..Thanks Bob

Thanks for info Bob. Sorry , i am unable to pull up info from the vin#. I am going to have to have the engine serial number. It will start with a 06R0.

Also is this the same dealership that is doing all of your repairs , or have you had it at different ones.

Thanks
Buddy

the engine ser#06r0970794.no this truck has been too universal sales and Detroit engine

Thanks for info. I can see why you are upset. Almost everything on your engine has been replaced, and somethings have been replaced twice.I seen also where early on where you was complaining about low power. I probaly want be able to pinpoint problem for you, but i might can give you a few tips and info to try. If you go back to that repairing shop, i would demand that they get there detroit rep involved and get his phone number also and let him know what all has been going on. When you get them involved, they wanna help and hurry and get the situation resolved. Also if you go to different shop, i would recommend freightliner or detroit diesel shop. I can see where detroit help line has helped on a few repairs.Repairing shops have to get them involved for warranty repairs, i would also demand them to go straight to level 3 support because those are the engineers and are very sharp. I have had trucks, they would have to give me a special software file for the ecm with special fuel maps for the truck to run correctly on 2 trucks in my area.

I would also ask for them to print you a ddec report out on engine. This will have some interesting things for you to veiw over the past 3 months of the engine.Lots of good info in those reports. AlsoI know there is several new software flashes for the mcm and cpc to repair for low fuel mileage and stumbling issues while accelerating.I would also wanna make sure that your injector trim files off of injectors are the same numbers as the ones in the mcm. Also i would recommend to repairing shop when they contact helpline, to send them a snapshot of a test drive, cutout test, and a parked regen. Far as taking the aftertreatment device off, this would be a costly fine to get caught doing this.I hope this has helped you out some. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

i have got the rep involved and all they do is try different things .they know they got a problem and they do have other trucks doing the same thing but they just keep throwing parts at it. I think they are just waiting to the warranty is gone and f**** you.I have the print out a the computer for the last 3 months but i do not get no help. where would you get them software flashes to increase fuel milege .If this was the only truck that i owned i would be bankrupt!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Bob (Lemmon)

Thanks for reply Bob. The software flash i was referring to is called 08m1. I checked and this was already done to your truck. Here is service letter on this here . The next update was this one .The newest software is 4.03 for the cpc and 62.6 for the mcm. If your truck does not have this one, i would get it repgrogrammed. Another parameter in the mcm i would make sure was on is auto elevate, this is to help dpf from stopping up while just idling. I would also make sure your hp is set to high power and not low power. I dont know what your idle percentage is, it should say on your ddec report sheet. But we have had trucks cut down on idling time helped considerably on regen probs.I know when i first read your post, i was thinking you had a injector problem or a doser block problem, which we see alot, but all of this was already replaced on your truck. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 11/18/2009 at 4:47 AM EST
is it possible too remove this regen exhaust on this truck?

It is not possible without getting in some pretty bad trouble.

Thanks

Buddy

i live in canada so i can handle it what is the since of having this truck if i cannot use it

I totally agree with you, and it is only getting worse. Just wait till 2010 gonna get worse.

Buddy

Buddy
Buddy
Buddy, Technician