Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

Case 580K backhoe won’t start

Customer Question
Hello! I have a Case 580K...

Hello!

I have a Case 580K backhoe that will not start. We have done all the bleeding of lines, etc. up to the injectors. Run solenoid clicks when key is turned on. I get flow from overflow line from injectors when trying to start. When tractor starts, it runs fine until it is stalled out, and it won’t start again. Sometimes a cool down gets it run again. Do I need an injection pump?

Is there anything else I can try or test on tractor?

This started about a year ago and has progressively got worse.

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
7/3/2009
Technician: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hard starting problems when engine is hot is usually a sign of worn out pumps. If engine starts on ether easily and has good power, then this may be your problem.

If engine is hard to start even with ether, check for air getting into fuel lines (cracked tube or bad hose). Make a bypass hose and run it from a bucket of clean fuel to the suction line on the pump (bypass everything). If starting improves, you have found your problem.

Also, check the inlet fitting on the pump for a screen. If it is plugged, engine will be weak. Not all machines have screens though.

When engine is running, carefully loosen the fuel lines one at a time. Look for strong spray of fuel with no foamy bubbles. If it is weak and dribbles fuel, the pump may be worn out. If you have had trouble with sludge, algae or water in the fuel, this will increase wear on the pump.

You could remove the injectors and have them "pop" tested by a dealer. They could be worn out too. Sometimes, replacing the injectors can get it running but, if you had the dirty fuel problems the pump will be next.

Hi, thanks for getting back but I guess you told me what I already expected. I was hoping that I could further troubleshoot the pump on the tractor. Father in-law had it today and it ran all day until he stalled it. He won't even try to start it again until tomorrow. Brother in-law was over and was wondering if one of the batteries could be drawing it down, that the fuel solenoid is disengaging.

Ether does not help us get it started. In fact, the engine struggles and I'm wondering if the starter could be a culprit. I have a starter on order.

Do you have any other ideas?

We are trying as much as possible to eliminate the pump before spending a grand on something that we are not sure we need.

If cranking speed is slow, then ether can make the engine harder to start. A good load test on the battery is needed. A tester over 100-amp load will check the battery correctly. Small testers don't give reliable results. Replace any corroded cables. If you see any corrosion on the outside, more can be inside, where you can't see it. If you can add a jump start battery, connect to the starter terminals. If cranking speed is normal, then your problem is in the cables. If you jump connect at the battery and cranking is normal, then it is just a battery. If nothing changes, it might be the starter.

Be sure to check for hydraulics loading the hydraulic pump. You don't want any lever to be sticking, causing the hydraulic pump to load the engine when cranking.

This could be an issue since you said it stalls the engine. Case uses a gear pump, so, it does not have any regulators to worry about. Look for auxiliary controls that you don't normally use to be the problem. If it has an electric control for hammer attachments, check for it before loading the engine.

I hope this will help you find your problem. If you have more details about this, please add them to your next post. I will be glad to help.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Thanks Don,

We have connected a 225-booster charger directly to the starter and it has not made any significant difference.

I have also cleaned and taken apart all the cables from the batteries to the starter. We had problem that seemed like the solenoid and it turned being the cable from the solenoid to the brushes on the back side of the starter.

The stalling usually occurs when a load is put on the engine to move or actuate.

I'm being told the governor is not kicking in enough to increase the engine speed. He runs the hoe just a little over idle to work the hoe.

This stalling problem has always occurred on this hoe and it just might be the way he is running it. The hoe has always restarted but since last summer this not restarting problem has cropped up.

This machine does not have hydraulic pump regulators since it is gear type pump. That is why it stalls the engine. It is ok to do light work but, slow engine speed also mean slow coolant flows and fan speeds. If you are working loads, that heat up this system, the need for faster engine speed is obvious.

I don't have experience in this fuel systems. Our shop always sent them out to a fuel shop for repair. I would agree with it being a governor problem if it has high hours on the engine (over 5000 hours).

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

It seems the problem was with the starter.

We put a new one in and it works fine.

Thanks

Wow, I have had some starters do that to me too.

At least you eliminated everything else, I know some are very expensive.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to help again.

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician