Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

Injector N3 ( detroit diesel series S 60) into cylinder head

how to setting up injector...
how to setting up injector N3 ( detroit diesel series S 60) into cylinder head ? Thanks so much !
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2009
Buddy
Buddy, Technician
HiCustomer Welcome to JA, I am Buddy and i will help you out. Here is tune up procedure for N3 injectors. Also the torque on the injectors have changed. You need to replace the hold down bolt and here is torque specs on injector.If you have anymore questions just ask.
  • Install injector assembly with a new bolt . Torque injector assembly using the following procedure:
    1. Torque the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb·ft).
    2. Loosen the bolt 60 degrees (1/6 of a turn, or one bolt flat). Do not fully loosen the bolt.
    3. Torque the bolt to 35 N·m (26 lb·ft).
    4. Tighten the bolt 90 degrees (1/4 of a turn).
  • Adjust the valves and N3 fuel injector settings as follows :?

1. Disconnect starting power for engine.
    2. Remove the engine valve rocker cover as outlined. Refer to "1.6.2 Removal and Cleaning of One-piece Rocker Cover For Diesel Engines Only" for one-piece, refer to "1.6.3 Removal and Cleaning of Two-piece Rocker Cover For Diesel Engines Only" for two-piece rocker cover, and refer to "1.6.5 Removal and Cleaning of Three-piece Rocker Cover" for three-piece rocker cover.
    3. Insert a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole in the center of the crankshaft pulley.
    4. Bar the engine in the direction of rotation and observe a cylinder where the injector rocker arm is just beginning to depress the injector plunger, both the intake and exhaust valves should be closed.
      1. Stop turning the engine and mount a magnetic base dial indicator so you can monitor the upward lift of travel of that injector lobe.
      2. Set the pedestal of the dial indicator on the top of the injector cam roller. Adjust the pedestal so it can travel the entire upward movement of the lobe.
      3. Continue to slowly bar the engine over in the direction of rotation until the dial indicator shows no more upward lift. The needle of the dial indicator will stop moving indicating maximum lift.
      4. This is the point of maximum injector roller lift, the injector can now be set.
      5. If you rotate the engine beyond this point you will have to bar the engine over in the opposite direction at least 1/4 turn and then bar the engine over in the direction of rotation until maximum injector roller lift is obtained.
    5. Stop engine rotation and note which cylinder this is, and follow the sequence listed in Table "Valve Lash and N3 Injector Setting Adjustment Sequence" to correctly set injector and valves.

Max. injector lobe travel on Cylinder No.?

Adjust Injector on Cylinder No.?

Adjust Valves on Cylinder No.?

6?

6?

2?

2?

2?

4?

4?

4?

1?

1?

1?

5?

5?

5?

3?

3?

3?

6?

Table 11. Valve Lash and N3 Injector Setting Adjustment Sequence
    6. This injector can now be set using this procedure:
      1. Loosen the locknut on the adjusting screw at least two full turns.
      2. Tighten the adjusting screw until the injector plunger bottoms out, torque value should be 4.51 N·m (40 in·lbs).
      3. Back the adjusting screw off 3/4 of a turn 0.75 mm ± 0.25 mm (0.03 in.± 0.01in.) and tighten the locknut to 41-47 N·m (30-35 lb·ft).
      4. The injector is now adjusted.
    7. Adjust the valves on the corresponding cylinders listed in Table "Valve Lash and N3 Injector Setting Adjustment Sequence" .

NOTICE:

Never set the valves and injector of the same cylinder at the same time. Doing this will result in engine damage.?

8. To adjust the intake valves, insert a 0.203 mm (0.008 in.) feeler gage between the tip of the valve stem and the valve button at the end of the rocker arm. See Figure "Intake Valve Adjustment" . Click to see this graphic in a separate window

1. Intake Valve?

4. Locknut?

2. Valve Button?

5. Feeler Gage?

3. Intake Rocker Arm Assembly?

6. Tip of Intake Valve?

Figure 7. Intake Valve Adjustment

9. Loosen the locknut, and turn the adjusting set screw until the feeler gage produces an even smooth pull between the valve stem and valve button.
    10. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft) and remove the feeler gage. Reinsert the feeler gage to ensure that the adjustment did not change when the locknut was tightened. Readjust as necessary.
    11. The exhaust valves are adjusted the same way as the intake valves, except use a 0.508 mm (0.020 in.) feeler gage see Figure "Exhaust Valve Adjustment" . Click to see this graphic in a separate window

1. Location of Identification Groove?

5. Locknut?

2. Valve Button?

6. Exhaust Rocker Arm Assembly?

3. Allen Wrench?

7. Feeler Gage?

4. Adjusting Screw?

8. Tip of Exhaust Valve?

Figure 8. Exhaust Valve Adjustment

12. Repeat steps thru until all injectors and valves have been set.
    13. Install the engine rocker cover.Refer to "1.6.8 Installation of One-Piece Rocker Cover" for a one-piece rocker cover and refer to "1.6.9 Installation of Two-Piece and Three-Piece Rocker Covers" for two and three piece rocker covers.
    14. Reconnect starting power to the engine.
    Buddy
    Buddy, Technician

Adjust Injector on Cylinder No.?

Adjust Valves on Cylinder No.?

6?

6?

2?

2?

2?

4?

4?

4?

1?

1?

1?

5?

5?

5?

3?

3?

3?

6?

4. The injector is now adjusted.

NOTICE:

1. Intake Valve?

4. Locknut?

2. Valve Button?

5. Feeler Gage?

3. Intake Rocker Arm Assembly?

6. Tip of Intake Valve?

Figure 7. Intake Valve Adjustment

1. Location of Identification Groove?

5. Locknut?

2. Valve Button?

6. Exhaust Rocker Arm Assembly?

3. Allen Wrench?

7. Feeler Gage?

4. Adjusting Screw?

8. Tip of Exhaust Valve?

Figure 8. Exhaust Valve Adjustment

Buddy
    Buddy
    Buddy, Technician