John, Technician
Experience:  20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
14415333

My bobcat 763 ran out of fuel. I replaced to fuel filter but

Customer Question

My bobcat 763 ran out of fuel. I replaced to fuel filter but now it runs a few minutes and dies. I ahve put heet in the tank for any water.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Dan Boy replied 8 years ago.

Hi october and welcome to JA

It could be water as you suspect or when the tank went low it is possible that it picked up something that has your feed line partially obstructed. Try removing the feed line at the engine and see if you can blow back into the tank to check for obstruction.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I read your email and removed the fuel line between the primer bulb and the fuel tank. I blew air back into the tank and could hear it but when I put air pressure into the tank to blow fuel out...nothing. The primer bulb won't pull fuel out either. How do I get fuel to flow out?
Expert:  Dan Boy replied 8 years ago.

hi october

One of the other experts here just reminded me there is a check valve at the tank on your bobcat so you won't be able to blow backward. If you can then there is debris in the check valve that could be causing your problem. Remove this check valve and check for an obstruction. Being at home on a sunday I miss the wall of manuals behind my desk at work. The memory is not as good as it once was. Sorry for any confusion.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can't even see the tank. Do you have a schematic that would show where the check valve is located.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
Bobcat has had trouble with the suction line breaking off on the fitting that goes into the tank. When this breaks you will be able to blow back easily into the tank. But nothing will come out of the line unless it is full all the way up to the neck of the filler hose. In fact if the bobcat is in a bad place you can fill it all the way up and it will run enough to get it where it is easier to work on.

You will have to flip the cab and have somebody wiggle the suction line to find the right fitting. (The return fitting is only about 2 inches away.) You will find it looking just in front of the hydrostat. Usually there is a bunch of crud that you have to get out of the way. I usually remove the bucket and raise the boom and put the lock on the boom. This way you can work from the side much easier.

The fitting goes through a grommet. Most of the time when you pull up you get both the fitting and the grommet together. If the hose broke off you will see a little piece of it on the bottom of the fitting. The replacement hose is 9 inches long and is supposed to have a check valve on the bottom. It is a good idea to have this check valve on the hose . It keeps the hose hanging down and helps keep fuel in the lines. Sometimes the grommet needs to be replaced because they swell just a little and you can not get it back in the hole.

Thanks John
John, Technician
Experience: 20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I can see the fittings on top of the tank with the hoses coming into them. Is it one of those hoses that is broken or is it a hose inside the tank? Do I undo the hose on top of the tank? Does the fitting unscrew or how does it come out?

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Hi october

The broken hose is inside the tank.

Make sure you verify the suction line, the one from the primer bulb to the tank.

It is usually easier to remove the line from the fitting in order to get it out.

You pull up on the elbow fitting, sometimes the elbow comes out of the grommet but most of the time the grommet comes with the fitting. The line that I think is broken hooks onto the bottom of the elbow fitting.

Thanks John
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. Hopefully that will be enough info. Really appreciate your timely response.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Glad to help. John