catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

I am looking for tune up specs for a International V8, 6.4

Customer Question

I am looking for tune up specs for a International V8, 6.4 L, 392 CID gas Engine to set the timing and dwell/ point gap? This is a International Loadstar 1700 dump truck
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 8 years ago.
Spark plug gap is .030. Dwell point is 30, point gap is .019 or .008 w/breakerless ignition. Timing @ tdc except carter carb with 519861 distributor that is 5 degrees before tdc. Firing order 18436572. All timing is done on #8 cylinder.
catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.

Tuning up and old International. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, time on #8 500- 650 rpm. Factory setting is 0 degrees, you may be able to get a way with 2-4. Set your points at .018 to get it started then 29 degrees of dwell should do the trick. 392's like champion plugs rj12yc to be exact. If you are looking to get it running really sweet try a Petronix electronic ignition conversion, better cold starts and will keep the tune unlike points.

As always thanks for choosing JA. If you are satisfied with my answer please press the accept button. Fee free to post back here if you need a bit more help. Feedback is always welcome.

Thanks

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is great. Thank you for getting back to me.
Brian
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is great. Thank you for getting back to me. Brian