Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

I have a Cummins N14 plus it cranks a long time before it..ECM..tanks

Customer Question
I have a Cummins N14...
I have a Cummins N14 plus it cranks a long time before it starts. I have installed a new check valve on the outlet side of the heat exchanger behind the ECM (that is between the heat exchanger and the inlet of the filter). I have also checked and proofed there are no air leaks on the suction lines from the tanks.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
12/8/2008
Technician: Diesel Service, Technician replied 9 years ago
Diesel Service
Diesel Service, Technician
HelloCustomer I'll try and help you, can you tell me want number fuel filter you are using?

NAPA 3406
Technician: DEALERTECH37, Technician replied 9 years ago
DEALERTECH37
DEALERTECH37, Technician
Hi there.just tryin to help out if I can here. I'm KC. Ok now,have you changed the anti drain back valve in the pump itself? It is the little 90 degree angle fitting either on the top or bottom, being a 96 , Id say it is on top. One other thing it could be is a cut o-ring on an injector which allows the fuel to return faster than it is being pumped in...a Let me know..KC
Hi KC,

I Replaced the small 90 degree elbow with internal check valve that sits on top of the pump when I got the new fuel screen and checked the fuel pressure I also as installed a new 1/2 " check valve on the heat exchanger behind the ECM. I got all that information form Cummins Northeast in Dedham Massachusetts because I was going to buy a new fuel pump and the guy at the counter said he never sold one not one in fifteen years and when he looked up the part they only had one in the north east region in NY he said he was sure the pump was good and I should check the fuel pressure and the check valves and screen..... I think that I covered all the obvious stuff that "old school" guys like me would think of. I have trucks and equipment with non ECM Cuminns and have a basic understanding of the systems and we keep them running..... I guess my question is could the ECM shut the fuel at the injector solenoid or does the ECM moniter the cranking pressure then open the injector solenoid when it meets " X " pressure? Is there a book on the ECM that explains function not just codes.
One other thing I have seen, is a crack in the fuel filter, just below the rubber in the groove, other things we done is replaced fuel filters from FS1000 to FS1212, Fleetgaurd, as for the shut off solinoid its power fromt the ecm when key is turned on, what the ecm does is monitor the engine position sensor and turns on the injectors when it finds out where #1 tdc is to put it simply, the shut off solinoid can cause your problem as well, and its easy enough to change,
Diesel Service
Diesel Service, Technician
I will try the fuel soenoid and check the filter head for cracks.

The FS1000 is the upgrae to the FS1212.

Technician: CumminsApart, Cummins Technician replied 9 years ago
CumminsApart
CumminsApart, Cummins Technician
HiCustomer

Using FS1212 filter on an N14 will cause reduce service life of electronic injectors. This filter does not filter as good as the correct filter, a FS1000.

FS1000 is for use on all N14 electronic engines. As the quality of our fuel deteriorates better filtration is a neccessety. If there is every a fault with a Fleetguard filter it is an isolated case, as Fleetguard are the leading manufacturer when it comes to filtration products and filter technology ...... there is no compromise.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX problem, no one has asked about the circumstances around the longer starting, firstly if you have never owned an electronic engine the first thing you notice is the longer time the engine cranks before firing, this is due to the electronics needing to send signals to the computer and is quite noticable compared to a good mechanical engine. The infomation you received about your fuel pump is incorrect, they do wear out and are replaced all the time, to maintain good engine performance the fuel pressure needs to be right at the top end. The best way to test fuel pressure is on a chassis dyno. If you suspect that fuel is draining back, install a sight glass in the fuel line and leave overnight to see if this is happening.

Good luck.
Diesel Service
Diesel Service
Diesel Service, Technician