Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I just had a check up last week--healthy except working on…

I just had a check...
I just had a check up last week--healthy except working on some anemia. However over last few days i have had mild nausea and chills (maybe low grade fever). So going on for about 3 days. I noticed yesterday it sort of burns when I urinate. I took an over the counter UTI test and it came back positive for leukocytes although negative for nitrites. I have been on antibiotics for sinuses a few times in last few years and would really like to avoid taking more. are the over the counter tests pretty accurate? And if so, can I safely try treating without antibiotics first? I am a big believer in oregano oil as an antiseptic, so I already started that (two supplements 3x day)I cannot drink cranberry juice but I could take a supplement. What are your recommendations on terms of treating myself and if so, what to take? As an fyi, I have had UTIs in the past but they are years apart. I don't get them frequently. I am 44 year female.
8/11/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

This is Dr. Shah and am reviewing your question now.

I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Do you have urinary frequency, urgency, blood in urine, tiredness?

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
No blood in urine but yes to others
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
I do feel better today than last two days. No more chills and less tired
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
But still burning on urination and some fatigue

Thanks for the information.

Your description is typical for urinary infection and your symptoms are consistent with it. You can drink adequate water, take rest to ease your symptoms. Using OTC azo and sodium citrate is also helpful and may work in mild symptoms. Your OTC urine test also indicate infection. You can get a urine test/culture to confirm the diagnosis. If active infection is detected, you may have to go for prescription meds to get rid of infection.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.

Please leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question, you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr.Shah

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
is it ok to try the OCT for a few days and then go get a cu lture? Or do you recommend going to urgent care now and getting an antibiotic to supplement w OTC?

Since your symptoms are fading away, you can try OTC meds for a day or two. If still burning, you can get urine culture and prescription antibiotics.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Thank you!

You are welcome!

Thanks for visiting justanswer.