Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I recently had some blood work that showed I have elevated…

I recently had some blood...
I recently had some blood work that showed I have elevated liver enzyme ALT all other blood work is normal. What herbs can I take to repair the Liver? I’m on a low fat diet, no red meat or sweets. I take a diuretic for high blood pressure, probiotic and peppermint oil for IBS.
8/3/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) seeds containing several potent antioxidant flavonolignans collectively called silymarin have liver healing and protective effects. Please see the reference;

Combest, W.L. (1998, October). Milk thistle. US Pharmacist, 86-94.

Having said that, a single enzyme rise usually would get better on its own.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I stopped taking red yeast rice about a month ago. I was taking it along with CoQ10 for high LDL Can red yeast rice cause elevated ALT? If so, how long after stopping the RYR would it take for ALT to go down? Also, can Zoloft cause increased ALT? I was on it for two weeks before stopping it due to the side effects. I’m just trying to see why my ALT would be elevated.

Red yeast rice and Zoloft; both can raise the ALT. Both of these are metabolized by the liver.

The rise of ALT by the medicines or herbs would take 6-12 weeks to get back to normal.

You may ask your doctor to get the thyroid function tests. A high thyroid may increase the ALT.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)