Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Dr Chip, I was thinking about what you’ve said about being…

Dr Chip,I was thinking about...
Dr Chip,I was thinking about what you’ve said about being hyper vigilant and you’re right. When I was a young child I was molested by an older male cousin and suppressed that unit in the last year and it came out when I started some therapy for relationship difficulties after a break up. Not long after the abuse, my mom told me that if you have sex with boys you can get AIDS, so I naturally thought I had aids for years if my young life. That being said, along with the counseling work and surfacing of that was also the surfacing of std fears. Because of relationship difficulties and other, I had a fair number of sexual partners in my early 20’s and 30’s...it made me fearful and convinced I must have acquired something, but all testing has been negative, but that’s been hard to fully believe for me, not to mention the non testable things like crabs/hpv. So...I’m trying to consolidate all the crap I’ve read on the internet in the past as I’ve not done that anymore with someone who is very knowledgeable in the subject and in whom I’m able to trust...as mistrust, hypervigilance, etc...have plagued me. I’m dojng better I’m those fronts, but the more I can stop scanning for danger in this std related area, the better. For instance, the tick in the toilet seat, others worry about Lyme, my mind goes to stds/crabs for afore mentioned reasons. Trying to sort it out
8/1/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Thanks for sharing that with me

Have you had any therapy for that?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Yeah, I started therapy within the last year and have been making strides, but as you would know, it is a larger scale issue and hard to direct toward std fear with my therapist, which is why I have been utilizing your expertise to try and further my progress in the particular area

What kind of therapy specifically?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Counseling
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I’m not sure if a specific

Yes but is it cognitive behavioral therapy?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Hmm, I’m not sure, what is that?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I’ve heard of it, but I don’t know exactly

Well in brief it's identifying negative irrational thoughts--like health anxiety in your case--and working on arguments against them to decrease their anxiety effect

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I’ll look into that, thank you
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Can I ask you a few questions to help consolidate the information on std’s I’ve received from far too many places

Sure

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
if I have tested negative for everything I’m able to test for and don’t have any symptoms, then I’m clear. Is that how it works? Regardless of sexual history (many partners as I jumped from relationship to relationship at times and had one night stands).

If someone is tested for everything and is negative for it all then they're in the clear no matter how many partners they've had in the past or their previous sexual history

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
My understanding from stds experts is that there is a lot research that can validate information about genital warts? I’ve never known myself to have them, but of course question whether I missed it or mistook them for the fordyce spots or a skin tag, would it be hard to miss? And also research to support that they don’t come back?

They don't come back and they are very obvious and can't be overlooked or missed

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
they stick around long enough where they typically grow and multiply? It would e impossible to miss that they are something unusual as compared to a smoother fordyce spot or skin tag? Even for a non medical person...
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
For instance, I’d see something like that and say, that’s definitely a. Genital wart, not to be confused with anything else

Yes--they don't just pop up and go away in a few days

And they're very distinctive--look like the head of a cauliflower

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Yeah, ive not seen anything like that. I just noticed a bump on the underneath ridge of my penis, but it disappeared within a few days, was by itself. I just can’t recall exactly what it looked like and not sure if it had been there for a while if I had just missed it. I don’t think it looked like cauliflower
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
This is 10 years ago probably
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
But that makes me anxious because I can’t remeber exactly what the appearance was

You really don't need to worry about HPV genital warts or any STD at this point

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Here’s where my confusion lies- some people say they can be small, or mistaken, etc...which is frustrating. And, they say they’re so common, so I think, well, I’ve had more than enough sexual partners, i must have gotten it right?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
You really think so?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I definitely want to accept that
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
no way I could have crabs now? Couldn’t catch that from that strip club either? I’ve only had one sexual partner in the last year
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I know you said I don’t, but then I think, well how would one know...I guess other than I haven’t told you any symptoms that would be related to that?

Now your anxiety has kicked in full force

They aren't small and they can't be missed or mistaken for something else

And even with multiple partners there's still a good chance none of them had it

The problem here--and CBT can help with this--is the what if thinking--that's never worthwhile

And you didn't get crabs and so you don't have crabs

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Yeah, at this point I do realize it when anxiety kicks jn
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Part of me is just thinking if I can get enough of the right answers from someone like yourself, it will help

It can help but the problem with OCD/health anxiety is that your brain finds it hard to accept the medical truth

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
honestly, things are better than they used to be..I just am looking for absolutes on certain things and the crabs issue eats at my ability to create an absolute..along with hpv
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
That’s precisely the issue
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Logically I know you’re right...anxiety is not logic that’s for sure

Just work on trying not to obsess on these things

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
in your opinion, would you say it is unwise or just unnecessary to go to my doctor and have her inspect just to validate there aren’t crabs there? Or is that validating/strengthens my anxiety and therefore counter productive?

I personally would not get checked out

Even if you did and the doctor said you were fine you'd still worry

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
That’s a good point. And I would have some sort of symptoms anyway? Would probably be rather obvious that something was awry?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I guess just trying to understand how to not think about it in a way

Yes--if you had crabs you'd have symptoms

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
slight itchiness and typical male stuff from what I’ve told you isn’t anything like that

No--not crabs so let that worry go

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I think part of it is that I think somehow I could have gotten it from that strip club, but I wouldn’t get it from just sitting in areas where others are and it’s not that easy to transfer in any of the ways I previously described at the strip club? And, the last girl I dated had her annual with her doctor and they tested for stds and woukd have noticed that at that time I’m sire?

Zero chance of getting it like that

And for sure her doctor would have noticed it if she had had it

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
would mine have noticed when I had hemorrhoids checked as well? A

Of course

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I guess for some reason I thought it would be hard to diagnose because they are so small or something? Apparently easy to diagnose? I guess that might be part of why I get someone could miss something related to myself because stds seem hard to diagnose with all of the information out there, but they’re really not and probably quite obvious? I imagined myself as slipping through the cracks and having something they couldn’t fjnd

There you go again with the what if thinking--you're never going to be able to argue against that with yourself

I promise you a doctor can easily diagnose them and wouldn't miss them

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Yeah, it loves to sneak in there, so that’s why I’m trying to combat with facts
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Certainly I don’t mean to doubt you by any means. I trust your expertise and that’s why I ask you

I'll alway give you the straight poop on all of this

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Haha, I know you will, that’s why I ask you these questions and greatly appreciate it

Always my pleasure--anytime

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
just for straight poop sake- STD’s, whether hpv, crabs or the rest of em are easy to diagnose and wouldn’t h
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Have missed them?

Easy to diagnose and they simply aren't missed or overlooked

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I’m typically a straight shooter as well and that’s why I sometimes clarify with straight forward questions if somehnng you may have already covered

Anything more for now?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I worry that if Iet my immune system dip by Drinking alcohol, having coffee or occasionally eating poorly that something could happen in the std realm, ie genital warts/ other hpv. So it’s affected my personal life and I am fearful of things I used to enjoy with friends, etc...
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I shouldn’t have to alter that lifestyle as there is no fear of anything that could cause a problem as you stated? That has been a question in my mind for months

You're just fine and no need to alter your lifestyle

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I’ve skipped out on things because of that worry and I’d rather not
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
virus/bacteria die within minutes so people don’t have to worry about contraction non-sexually because of that? And as you said- widely studied and accepted? No mistaking that?
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Once again, Just me trying to be as sure as possible...for some reason knowing research is abound in that helps me to validate
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
That’s my last thing

Yes--they simply don't live outside the body for long and aren't contracted nonsexually

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
sorry for all of these things, as you can imagine it’s kind of a tough thing to go through and start to deal with in your mid thirties...not where I wanted to be right now...catching up on 30 years of subdued feelings in a short time is difficult, so your help and patience with me is more than appreciated

I understand

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Have a great day, Doc..thanks again!