Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

A medical question: I’m a pharmaceutical R&D scientist.

A medical question:I’m a pharmaceutical...
A medical question:I’m a pharmaceutical R&D scientist. Often I need to find out the current state of the art in the practice in prescribing medications for a given disease. Websites like WebMD show a long list of drugs but do not indicate which ones are the mostly commonly prescribed. Are there sites that can show the most commonly prescribed drugs and the latest / best treatment for each disease?
7/29/2018
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Good evening,

Conducting some research tonight on sites that might be found useful:

1. Latest database to be viewed by anybody as "Top 200"

http://clincalc.com/blog/2017/02/introducing-the-clincalc-drugstats-database-and-the-2017-top-200-drugs/

2. This database allows searching by condition

https://www.drugs.com/drug_information.html

I hope that the information provided has been found helpful. Also if you could please take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful.

Take care,

Librarian Michael

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I was aware of these sites. The Top 200 List is not that useful and does not break down for individual diseases such as gout. The drugs.com site is a little more helpful since it allows people to rate each medication (but that is different from the ranking in number of Rx). If you don’t mind, I’ll re-post and ask an MD to answer.

Best then for someone in our MD field to answer.

Have a good evening.

Librarian Michael

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

The best sites are;

Medscape.com

Uptodate.com.

The first one is free but may need registration.

The other one is a subscription site. It has some free content too.

You can search on the pubmed which has free contents too and is authentic.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
UpToDate.com seems to be what I need. The subscription is $20 per 7 days. I can pay it as needed. Many thanks!

You are most welcome.