Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Dr Arun please

Dr Arun please
7/25/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hi Laura,

What's up!

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hi Dr Arun

Hello Laura,

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Here’s my question: what cause someone to experience feelings of cold on their body? My husband said he feels these cold sensations sometimes on his leg or maybe his arm . It comes and goes. It’s not numb or weak or anything like that.I get this sometimes too on my chest. It feels cool and I have to check that it’s not wet ( it’s not ) but it feels that way .We are wondering what causes this ?

The temperature sensation in our body is dictated by the autonomic nervous system which runs out heart, lungs, intestines, perspiration, liver and kidney functions and majority of out metabolic processes and hormones.

The functioning of the autonomic nervous system may not be perfect and ideal occasionally and that gives the feeling of cold.

This usually does not indicate to a disease process.

Occasionally a vitamin B 12 deficiency may be associated if this is persistent or nagging.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
it doesn’t sound like a brain tumor?Is this what they call parasthesiss?

This may be called paresthesia if this is persistent.

This sensation does not have to do anything with the brain tumor.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Whew !Ok . That’s good. He said he felt it in his thigh, then it went away , then his arm felt cool or cold . I poked him with a pin and it’s definitely not numb. Is there anything to do to get rid of it ?

No active treatment is required if this is occasional.

This is normal physiological variations all of us would feel off and on.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok .. but just so I know. - what if it’s long standing ?

If it is long standing in an area, blood work for B12, autoimmune panel and MRI of the spine (to rule out pinched nerves) are ordered.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok ... but not a brain tumor .. right ??
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
You say in an area , but it’s like in different areas?

It is not a symptom of brain tumor, Laura.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok :)

In different area for months and years, will denote looking for diabetes or deficiency of vitamin B 12.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok .. ty Dr Arun . You are one in a million .

You are always welcome, Laura.

Thanks for your kind words.

Made my day.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)