Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

This mole is on my sons head. Does it look cancerous

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Anyone?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
He is only 15 so I am assuming it’s just been there a few years
7/22/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience,i will help with your query.How old is your son?Generally children rarely have malignant moles on the scalp(but they do occur).The mole shown in the photographs looks like a Spitz Nevus (SN).This may have more than one colour,ragged edges,may be rough or smooth,is dome shaped.Many of these moles disappear by themselves,if this persists/changes colour/enlarges/bleeds ,it needs the attention of a dermalologist who may examine and biopsy it if needed to rule out a melanoma.A close watch needs to be kept on this mole over a period of time.

The Spitz Nevus is usually seen between the ages of 10-20 years.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Is that something that is likely to turn cancer
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
you do not think it’s cancer

No,I do not think it is cancerous but i have not actually examined your son,it definitely needs to be checked by your PCP/Dermatologist.Spitz nevus do not become cancerous.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it can’t become cancer then? He has really thick hair lol. Are you 99% sure itbismt melanoma
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It isn’t
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Still here?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Second opinion please
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Hi again

That's not a mole and it looks totally benign

More of a compound nevus and that isn't precancerous

But since I can only go by the photo you should have his doctor look at it

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Are you pretty confident though

Of course

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
you don’t think it’s what the other doctor said then

No--I think it's a compound nevus but still benign

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Can I ask what does it mean where it says cells are present. Endocrrcial and or metaplastoc cells. I know this unrelated but please answer

That just means a proper PAP smear--it included not only cells from the outer cervix but cells from the endocervical area just inside the os

Anything more?

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)