Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My girlfriend has had a sprained ankle for the past 3 days..

Hello my girlfriend has...

Hello my girlfriend has had a sprained ankle for the past 3 days.. she is claiming the top of her toes has been numb but she has had it elevated and iced frequently

Doctor's Assistant: How long has your girlfriend had the numbness? Has she used any medication for it?

Approximately 2 days

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about the numbness?

No. We are in rural Spain own.. there is a urgent care clinic in the city

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend's symptoms. Can you attach a picture of the swollen/sprained ankle here? Also, is the pain improving or worsening? What is her age?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
The pain has been improved and she has been able to put some weight on it as well

Thanks for the additional information, if you get a phone call request that is an AUTOMATED site response, I DID NOT send it. I will get back to you with a written answer within a few minutes. Thanks for your patience.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
She also has been able to move it in circular motion as well
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
She is 46 years old

Ok so since she is able to put weight on it and is able to move it in a circular fashion means that it is highly unlikely that she has suffered damage to the bones in the region. It is also less likely that she has developed a moderate or severe tear of the tendons in the area, a minor tear is still possible. Now given that the pain is improving and I assume the swelling is slowly going down as well, it would indicate that the elevation, rest and icing is making a difference.

the numbness in the toes is likely to be a nerve which is being compressed because of the swelling and once the swelling goes down I think the numbness should disappear as well.

In order to speed up the process, I would recommend the following,

Continue the elevation of the foot as much as possible

AVoiding putting weight on it for the next 2-3 days

Apply OTC topical capsaicin gel on the area

Use OTC anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily for the next 3 days

Apply compression bandages on the area or ACE bandages if they are available in your region

At the moment I don't think she needs to go to urgent care, however, if the pain worsens or the swelling worsens or she develops significant bruising on the area or the color of toes start to change then head immediately to urgent care.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
She is worried about the numb pale foot. I think of the toes being numb but I am not the patient as well
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Any way we can call you since we are in Europe as well?

As long as the toes dont change their color to white, blue or deep red then it is fine. A way to check if the toes are getting adequate blood supply is to press down firmly on the pulp of the toes and then remove the pressure suddenly. If the white toes regain their color within 2-3 seconds that means that the blood supply is adequate, if the color returns after 4 seconds then she needs to be evaluated right now.

Unfortunately i cant take calls at the moment but we can continue here.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
It appears to be regaining color but the light is kind out bad here as well inside
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
She can also wiggle the toes too

You can check it underneath a flashlight or the light of your phone. But if you can still visualize it regaining color in bad lighting conditions it is likely that the blood supply is intact. The numbness should improve with time, you can observe the situation for the next 6 hours or so, if the symptoms worsen that is the numbness spreads etc then take her to urgent care. But at the moment her symptoms dont indicate an immediate visit.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Thanks for the help

You're welcome, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today, do remember to rate me 5 stars by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)