Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Dr Arun please

Dr Arun please
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hi Laura,

How do you do?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Hi Dr Arun , I’m glad you’re there . Here’s my question .I realize this sounds crazy but I have to ask . Tonight my daughter ( she 12) was outside standing on the steps of our pool when she noticed a bat actosss the pool drinking water . We have lots of bars here and they like to drink out of the pool and eat mosquitoes. Anyway , when she saw him she ran to the back door of our house and tried to get in because she’s freaked out by bats . The door was locked so she had to turn around and run around the front to the garage door . She has heard stories that when a bat bites you that you don’t feel it Because their fangs are so small . She said he was near her but not really . It’s hard to explain . My question is crazy I know .. but if a bat bites you , do you know ? I mean can you feel it ? She said she doesn’t feel anything but she’s so nervous that it could have happened when she turned her back to him . How long do you have to get a rabies shot if there’s a chance you got bit ? I know this is crazy but she’s so worried . Ty
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Do bats generally attack people ?

Bats would attack people only when they feel threatened. Otherwise, they remain far from humans.

The bite would feel and there would always be some blood from the bite.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
he didn’t bite her ? I looked her over and I didn’t see any fang marks . You say she would have known ? Maybe she’s just freaked out because he was near her ?

Yes, she would have known, if there was a bite.

And there would have been a mark too.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Ok , so I don’t need to take her in ? Just so I know for my own knowledge, if a person gets bit how long do you have before you would die if you didn’t get treated ?

Not all bats would be the carrier of Rabies.

Rabies can occur in 3-8 weeks.

Remember, it is a rare disease.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
this is crazy , right ? She’s just freaked out and I worry a lot. The Dr would have to see a bite mark to give her rabies treatment , is that correct ?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I don’t have to worry ?

Yes, Laura, You are worrying unnecessarily.

The doctor can give the vaccine only when there are marks and history of definite bite.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Ok , and the bite marks are obvious ? Some of the pictures I’ve seen they look very small

Please do not search on the Internet.

That can worry you without any substantial medical reason.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I know, Dr. Arun ... so she’s ok ? I don’t need to take her in tomorrow?

If she does not have marks, she is okay, Laura.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thank you Dr. Arun

You are very welcome.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)