Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I’m a 27 year old male and my last blood and urine test came…

Hello, I’m a 27 year...
Hello, I’m a 27 year old male and my last blood and urine test came back completely clean. Although this past month I’ve noticed at random times I would see traces of blood in my saliva. My question is, what could be the reason for this? The only other symptom I’ve had for the past few months is upper left back back and numb and dull pain in my upper left abdomen area. Which makes me believe this is GI related. I don’t have any nausea, no vomiting, normal appetite. No chest pain. Just feel the back pain at times when I inhale, twist, or bend. Not sure if it’s related to the traces of blood in saliva. What could be causing this?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr Rubio
welcome a JA and thank you for your question.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer

How many times have you noticed the appearance of blood in your saliva?
Have you noticed if it happens after coughing?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No, no cough at all. About 5 times this month.

Have you noticed if it happens after you've eaten?
after brushing?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It always happens after I brush. I’ve started flossing two weeks ago. My worry is because it’s happening at random times when I’m not brushing. Like when I’m out and about in the city.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It happened twice when I woke up, and three times at random through out the day. With no heartburn just upper left back pain.

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No problem, take your time. I don’t have any pain when I swallow. Just this upper left back and upper left abdomen pain.

Dear friend, I am impressed that blood with saliva has nothing to do with pain. Bleeding should be investigated because it is not accompanied by coughing or other symptoms that explain it, it is very probable that it may be due to inflammation of the gum that generates intermittent bleeding, since the gum is very sensitive and when the temperature changes, efforts are made, or spontaneous bleeding may occur slightly and bleeding should be evaluated, as well as an indirect laryngoscopy which can be performed by your physician in any office to quickly evaluate the pharynx and vocal cords for any other cause that may explain it since gastroesophageal reflux may have these symptoms since gastric acids may irritate and inflame the pharynx but this would be evident upon physical examination.

in relation to back pain, I'm impressed that it's intercostal neuritis.

just below each ribs from the neck and all the ribs run nerves, which by the effect of contraction of the muscles intercostal during breathing are compressed and the usual efforts to get up from the bed or chair and even when lifting objects increases its contraction with the consequent compression of the nerves generating this pain characteristic of the area, depending on the intensity at some time can even feel that lack of breathing and can extend to the affected arm as a crash o, now this is temporary but needs medication and rest, should not lift any heavy object. So you should not be alarmed but stress and anxiety make it worse since it is nerves that are affected.

The best treatment is physical activity, such as yoga, pilates that involves stretching, avoiding staying in the same position for long hours, for example sitting in front of the desk. Since all this prevents muscle contractures from occurring, avoiding neural compression.

before suggesting any treatment you should go to a consultation to be examined.

Do you have any question?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I see. So you don’t think the bleeding is a result of an ulcer in the stomach? Cancer? And you don’t think the upper left back pain and blood in saliva are related?

I don't consider it to be related. nor do I think it is an ulcer, because to present blood, an ulcer must be in advanced stages and generate many more symptoms.
the first thing to rule out is gingivitis and gastroesophageal reflux, as I explained to you.

Any other question,

If you have any query, please feel free to ask. I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I see, I just had a big meal and my upper left abdomen feels like it’s cramping and my upper left back hurt. Is this still comparable with inter coastal neuritis? The pain isn’t significant but it’s definitely dull and there.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The pain subsides once I lean back.

Yes, but as I reiterate, a gastroesophageal reflux that can generate similar symptoms should also be ruled out.

Edgar Rubio Villegas