Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am currently traveling out of country in Costa Rica. I…

Hello! I am currently...

Hello! I am currently traveling out of country in Costa Rica. I brought with me from Home augmentin 875/125 mg tablets that my dr gave me * just in case*. Well, since I have been here I thought I was having symptoms of a bladder infection. The dr here could not test my urine, so I started taking the Augmentin 875 twice a day. I have taken it 5 days and my bladder has felt better for at least 4 days. Today I woke up with swollen lips and eyes, wondering if it is the drug? Took benedryl and swelling going down. Is it advisable that I may stop taking the Augmentin?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used Augmentin or anything similar before?

Yes I have

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the swelling?

No, it is not severe and has gone down since taking benedryl

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I don’t think so

6/19/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Hello I'm Dr Chip
I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in just a moment

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you

That's definitely an allergic reaction--probably to the Augmentin

Five days of the Augmentin should be sufficient to treat a bladder infection so you can stop it now

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Should I continue taking the benedryl every 4-6 hours?

That's fine but you shouldn't need it the day after you've stopped the Augmentin

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you!!!

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you