Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My husband has recently spent 16 days in icu, 8 days in one…

my husband has recently spent...
my husband has recently spent 16 days in icu, 8 days in one hospital, and I had him transferred to another hospital, where he spent another 8 days, with dbl pneumonia, in hospital, his lung collapsed, and had a chest tube. It has been a nightmare. He is a thin man, is 5' 4" tall, and barely weighs 117lbs. He had lost so much weight in icu, that when I took him to see the local dr. where we live, he weighed only 91 lbs. I of course have tried to introduce a high calorie diet, 3000 calories a day, on a good day. But, I do not understand how they could release him, only weighing 91 lbs. He has no muscle, hell he has no meat on his poor bones, he is weak, and I guess my question is, what the hell can I do to help him.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I am not sure just what kind of dr I should talk to
6/9/2018
Connie Pennington

Good morning.

This is Dr. Pennington.

I am sorry this has happened to your husband.

It is common to see horrendous protein sequestration and massive weight loss in cases like this.

The weight will come back gradually.

Try to feed him a high protein diet, add Boost or Ensure and a lot of healthy fats, like avocados, nuts, coconut anything...

Does he have an appetite?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
he has an appetite, and eats as much as he can, just got to give him small meals more often, so he does not get a stomach ache

You are correct to do that.

I am glad he has a appetite.

What is his normal healthy weight?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
He normally weighs around 120, and he looks horrible at 91 lbs,
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
He normally weighs around 120, and he looks horrible at 91 lbs, what is that word protien what?

I am sure he does.

Just keep the quality of his food high, meaning no fat in junk food.

Protein sequestration. The body needs fuel, and when there is no fat it will take it from muscles, also known as muscle wasting.

Stand by, I am hunting a diet.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Ok, and he does not carry fat, at all, so, it is scary to me that he is so thin, and weak, he has never been sick much at all, we have been together for 38 years, and this is a first for us, he has never been hospitalized ever, neither have i, fortunate i suppose, was there a way for them to prevent this severe of a weight loss?

So, this link is to a really good site.

http://whfoods.org/menu7/whfmealplan.pdf

Right now he needs building blocks, which are vitamins found in food.

Whole food is the ticket, rather than fatty food. Of course if he wanted a milk shake from McDonalds, I would not deny him that!

I also recommend the following vitamins:

Multi complex B vitamin

Fish oil

Vitamin D (look for a liquid)

Probiotic (look for VSL#3)

and alpha-lipoic acid.

When people are sick and hit with mega doses of antibiotics, this happens. Some people have more reserve than others. No, we cannot prevent it.

The best thing to do is feed the gut when someones is able to eat.

I am sorry, but it will get better! Thankfully he is not on chemo or something!

Best of luck to you!

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
it also seems that he is different, I cant quite explain how, I have never known him to have fear, and he d

It was quite an experience he went thorough! It is common.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
common to have fear/
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
do you think that 2 weeks from now, would it be realistic to hope for at least a gain of 5 lbs?

Yes, it is common to have fear.

If he really tries, he should gain 1-2 lbs a week. You want quality weight gain, so it will come on slowly.

He has a lot to re-build.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
it is gonna be a few months rather than weeks until he is even close to 100 percent? In your opinion after all this, is 100 percent possible?
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Should he work his muscles, or just gain weight?

Yes, it usually takes 4-6 months to recover from something like that.

Of course, he will get back to 100%.

He should engage in physical therapy as well, but not push to hard.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Is it common in icu with dbl pneumonia to administer morphine?
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
he had a ventilator

Yes

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
ok, I feel a whole lot better about this now, thanks for the website, and list of vitamins, and advice, I think we can do this.

Yes of course you can, and you are welcome.

Please rate this question if I was helpful to you today, and have a blessed day!

Connie Pennington