Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am a 64 yr. old woman with a chronic stomach problem it…

Hi. I...

Hi. I am a 64 yr. old woman with a chronic stomach problem it seems. I have recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and everything turned out normal except a “slight case of acid reflux possibility.” I have a very healthy diet of mostly vegetables raw and cooked. I only eat chicken and fish and try to avoid fried and processed foods. I really don’t want to take more medication for acid indigestion/ reflux because I am already taking 3 low doses of high blood pressure meds, estrodial, singularity, and fluticasone nasal spray....and am looking for any suggestions you might have for this problem. I have stopped drinking alcohol but it would seem that nothing I do really changes my current state which is a gurgling, unhappy, acid feeling stomach and diahrrea as well as post nasal drip, occasional burning throat and throat congestion in the morning. Am I doomed to taking yet another pill in order to live a normal life?? Thanks for your input. Karen

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

I have had stomach issues off and on for many years.....not sure how long. But this time it doesn’t seem to be going away. I have had a cold/flu bug in early April and ended up taking a 5 day Z pack antibiotic course which didn’t really clear everything up. Since then I have had this problem consistently no matter what I do. No other symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Sinus surgery about 8 years ago to remove polyps. No real problems since then. Nothing else that I can think of that might pertain.

5/17/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Hello Karen,

I am extremely sorry for the delay in answer. I had to see some emergencies and thus could not answer you earlier. I apologize for your wait.

Following measures without medicines can take care of your acid reflux:

1) avoiding alcohol (which you have already done), citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato-based products.

2) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

3) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

4) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Following also would be helpful;

Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.

5) Also, avoid; white bread, pasta, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 2 day ago
Hello again Dr. Phophalia, Thank you for your advice. I have discovered the proper diet to follow for reflux digestion issues on line which is as you advised. I am not experiencing heartburn so does that mean that I must have “silent reflux” or LPR? Is that more of a concern than GERD? Also I have one silly question that maybe you can answer......and that is.....if I decide to have an alcoholic beverage, I have read that saki does not produce or add to an acidic stomach. Apparently they say that it is the only alcohol that creates more alcheline in your system. Is that way off base or do you think I could have an occasional saki ?
I also want to say that when I went back to review the results of my endoscopy the doctors findings included “LA Grade A reflux Esophagitis”. Is that common? And how careful do I really have to be.....how serious is that in your opinion? Thanks again for you input. I appreciate the service and expertise. Karen

You are very welcome, Karen,

You can take saki occasionally.

LPR and acid reflux with heartburn are managed in the same way.

Grade A esophagitis is common and is the mildest form. Thus it is not serious at all.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)