Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I’m a overweight 27 year old male with high anxiety and

stress. For the past few...
I’m a overweight 27 year old male with high anxiety and stress. For the past few months I’ve experiencing a cramp in a very specific region/muscle (upper left abdominal muscle right under my left peck). I feel the cramp come on later at night and when ever I go for a walk or run. It comes on and off. I don’t have any other symptoms besides some mild upper left back ache. Not sure if the two are related. Any suggestions? Solutions?
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/9/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

The upper left back pain and left upper abdominal cramp may be related. This is likely to be myofascial pain syndrome.

The myofascial trigger point can be associated with degenerative disc disease in the neck causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. The myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture.

This can be treated by;

a) MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

b) Chiropractor.

Anxiety can be associated with these issues.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
1) Do you think this is tumor related or something else serious?
2) How can my doctor diagnose this? Any tests?

This is highly unlikely related to the tumor.

The doctor would be able to diagnose it by physical exam and maybe investigations.

It is privilege assisting you.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)