Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have persistent localized pain in the inside of my upper…

I have persistent localized...

I have persistent localized pain in the inside of my upper left leg mid way between crotch and knee. It started about 2 weeks ago and initially felt like tightness. When I would walk it just felt like there was a little tightness when I would stretch it out. The tightness turned into pain. It hurts more if I press on it. I do not recall any moment of injury.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

It does seem like I feel a bit of a lump where the pain is but then again, when I feel my right leg in the same area it feels like a bit of a lump there too but without any pain. Nothing has made it better but I really haven’t tried anything yet. I thought about icing it or using Bengay but have not tried either yet.

5/6/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Hello Pepper,

This is likely to be myofascial trigger point. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. Prolonged standing or walking or any unaccustomed activity may be the triggering event. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture.

An ultrasound would be required for the assessment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
There's not a big risk of this being a blood clot right?

This symptom is not likely due to blood clot.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)