Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My daughter, age 32 and I, age 56 were both exposed to my 14…

My daughter, age 32...

My daughter, age 32 and I, age 56 were both exposed to my 14 month old grandson who has been diagnosed with pertussis. I had lots of kisses from him before we knew he was sick, just thought it was a cold. Both my daughter and I were exposed numerous times at the same time. Now my daughter seems to have it. She started with a cold last week and now the cough and congestion is starting. My question is: If I were going to get this disease too wouldn’t I be about as far along as my daughter is? I was on amoxicillin for tonsillitis when all this exposure was going on. Now we started Azithromycin (I’m on my 3rd day.) it’s my hope I don’t get this thing. I also noticed tonight some white frothy foam on the back of my throat.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No fever, hypertension, type 2 diabetes (5.8 A1c) high cholesterol, acid reflux.

5/6/2018
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Thank you

When was he diagnosed with whooping cough? when were you exposed to it?

When did you start azithromycin?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
He was diagnosed on Monday April 30th. As best as we can remember he had the coughing April 19th and a cold before that. I was exposed numerous times probably during any of those times. His mom thinks he’s about on day 21 or so.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
My daughter had a cold for about 5 days before her coughing started on May 2.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
I understand your anxiety.
The symptoms of whooping cough can take time to develop.
However, as you have started antibiotic the symptoms would be mild.
You may not develop symptoms too.
I feel you need not worry.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I started Azithromycin May 3
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Could the amoxicillin that I was taking from April 16-26 have helped keep it away? And now the Azithromycin?

That is good.

Even starting antibiotic in the early part of illness reduces the symptoms.

You have not developed symptoms yet.

So your symptoms would be mild if you develop any.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I took the Amoxicillin for tonsillitis
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Ok hopefully. Thank you!

You are always welcome.

Azithromycin is the preferred agent.

Bactrim can also be prescribed.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
You can see the rating button on the upper left corner.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards

Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)