Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I'm trying to understand the high presence of nitrites in my…

I'm trying to understand...

I'm trying to understand the high presence of nitrites in my urinalysis when everything else in the urinalysis is normal and I am asymptomatic for a UTI.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Nothing related to a UTI

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

For the last 3 months I've been having a problem with my throat. A little swollen and what feels like a film on it. I was diagnosed with Strep a month ago by a doctor even though the strep test was negative but after I finished the antibiotic and my fever went away and the burning in my throat, the symptoms of the selling and feeling of a film on the throat remained.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

4 months ago I was treated as a precaution for cat scratch fever as I was gouged in the cornea by a cat. Treated with Cipro oral And Cipro drops

5/5/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Doctor (MD)

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thank you

Your question is a good one.

The presence of nitrates in the urine signifies the presence of bacteria that produce this chemical. The presence of bacteria does not always signify infection. In fact, it's very normal for a women to have intermittent bacteria in the bladder that are flushed out with each urination. As long as the urine is not held in the bladder for too long, the infection will not occur.

The presence of nitrates, does increase the risk for UTIs, because it means that bacteria is present constantly. So, drinking plenty of fluids, emptying the bladder regularly, and avoid retaining the urine intentionally, will prevent infections from occurring.

Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
The urinalysis tested positive for nitrites not nitrates. Does that make a difference?

No, its the same. It still represents that bacteria is likely present.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I was reading that if your urinalysis comes back positive for nitrites and they are fairly high but everything else is normal and there are no symptoms present, it could be indicative of something else. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I am hesitant to take the antibiotic the doctor prescribed if I do not actually have a UTI.

Fortunately, the presence of nitrites in the urine has not been consistently linked to any other medical problems. It sounds likely have asymptomatic bacteriuria, in which a person has signs of bacteria in the urine, but not an infection. In those cases, antibiotics are only indicated if a person is pregnant. Otherwise, you can hold the antibiotics and use them if you develop symptoms.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Ok. Thank you very much!

You're welcome. Have a good night.

Dr. Greg

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
As I said, I went to the doctor and she did tests. The first test that came back was the urinalysis, high presence of nitrites. The second test just came back and it is scaring me. Can you look at it and advise? Do you need me to pay another $5?

Sure, I can look at it.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
How do I send it to you?

Y​ou can attach it by clicking the paperclip above the text box.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Attached. It's for EBV but the levels seem off the charts.

the results show that you have had a mono infection in the past, but that you don't have a current mono infection.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I had it in high school but I'm 48 now.

I​n that case, the result is normal.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Thank you so much!!

Y​ou're welcome. I sincerely ***** ***** I have earned a 5 star rating. Have a great day.

Dr. Greg

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Gave you 5 stars and a tip. Thanks again!

Thanks! Much appreciated. Take care.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Doctor (MD)