Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

A friend of mine has kidney problems of too much protein and…

Customer Question
A friend of mine has...
A friend of mine has kidney problems of too much protein and kidney filters are not able to flush. He's had 4 blood transfusions but issue still remains. His red blood cells are not producing the oxygen, very anemic and doctors still not able to figure out why. They've mentioned he may need to go on dialysis. What's your thoughthes
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
3/31/2018
Health Professional: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D. and I can respond shortly.
Red blood cells do not produce oxygen. They carry oxygen from the lungs to all the organs. Kidneys are vital in cleansing the blood, and they release a hormone that signals the bone marrow to make more blood cells. When kidneys don’t function right, they can’t make the substance to help create red blood cells. Anemia means not enough red blood cells. Transfusions replace red blood cells, but they only last for a short time. I’m afraid your friend has a serious problem. If he can receive a kidney transplant, then he can get better. Not much else to share. I hope my information helps in understanding the problem.
Thank you Dr Manos for your helpful response. Are there any options, besides Kidney transplant, to increase his red blood sells?
Sorry for the delay, busy day. They can give testosterone injections that can boost red cell production.