Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Mom is 78 years old and was on antibiotics for UTI. She is…

Customer Question
Hi mom is 78...

Hi mom is 78 years old and was on antibiotics for UTI . She is now having pain when peeing and also when I wipe her I see brown discharge

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Two days now. It becomes worse when peeing

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am not sure

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Health
3/29/2018
Health Professional: Dr. J, Doctor (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Doctor (MD)

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Do you happen to know if your mother has had a hysterectomy before?

No she didn't

Brown discharge means old blood. The fact that it's just discharge (and not, say, a steady flow of blood) indicates that it's a very tiny volume of blood. It's most likely that the blood is coming from the bladder (and not the uterus). I think it's time to talk to your doc - I would want to make sure that the UTI was adequately treated. If she's still having painful urination and possibly blood in her urine, I'd want to see if her urine still had an infection in it.

Ok thanks

You are most welcome. I wish your mother the best of luck.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars. Thank you.