Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a question about rabies. None Just curious about

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a question about rabies

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None Just curious about exposure

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Health
3/29/2018
Health Professional: dochealey, Senior Consultant replied 3 months ago
dochealey
dochealey, Senior Consultant

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Please ask what question you have regarding rabies?

On Tuesday night, I was moving some bags of garbage that had been sitting out for a couple of days into a garbage bin. I noticed one of them had been torn into by some animal, with some food outside of the bag that had been eaten. I moved the bag into the bin and went inside and washed my hands. Was i exposed to rabies, and do i need to get a vaccination shot?

Thanks for the reply.

You are not exposed to rabies this way and you do not need a vaccination for this.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.

Thanks for the answer. Could you provide more details on why this is not a concern?
You need to take into account some factors which I will mention.
Rabies virus can only be transmitted through broken skin or mucosa. If you had no wound on hands the rabies virus cannot be transmitted.
Rabies virus does not survive well in the environment as it is an enveloped virus and is inactivated with drying when exposed to air.
You just handled the bags which were lying in open for couple of days.
Even if a rabid animal had torn a bag any virus thus deposited would have dried and become inactivated by the time you handled the bag.
As I can see you did not handle the torn portion of the bag. Therefore anyway you are not exposed to the virus.